Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats involved in doing a masters?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

Hi, im looking into doing a masters in NUIG next year maybe, imjust wondering whats involved in it? ie. what type of projects need to be done? is it just one thesis to be written and 2 exams? i understand that some masters are different to others. is there group projects involved or is all work/research etc done by yourself? is it the same as another year in college ie. lectures/classes/projects? How much involvement and tuturing from lecturers is involved. Is it a hard year?
    Im in business, so anyone who has done a masters in people management/strategic management etc who can fill me in on any info. It would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Usually if you look at the course you're interested in they'll have subject guides to do with the modules that will outline the requirements. I'm in Arts but I have no exams, just two written assignments per module per semester, plus presentations and field workshops, and my thesis over the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

is there group projects? how many hours a week do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I'm out in NUIM at the moment doing a masters in accounting. Our course is brand new so I don't think my experience there would be a good and fair indication of the potential workload required in future years as they are looking to develop the course and tailor it over the next couple of years. I do know others who've done masters in business, banking and finance etc. It really depends on the type of course that you're doing as to what sort of stucture you'll have and the types of assignments.

If you're doing a general business degree expect plenty of workshops and case studies utilising your exisiting undergrad skills and seeking to develop them further through practical application.

If you're doing a finance/banking degree expect to take on a lot of quantitative courses that will require a very proficient level of intermediate maths at a minimum.

I'd suggets getting in touch with the course director directly and speaking to them about the course. They're surprisingly insightful and will give you a very good idea of the pro's and con's of the course as they should ideally explain their vision of potential graduates from the course.

Advertisement