Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5th book of the trilogy

• 08-04-2009 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I've only read my dad's books which were the four books in the trilogy but I see that there's a FIFTH - is it worth reading or is it a case of him cashing in?

I don't want to read a poor dragged out version of it...

THANKS!

(any recommendations of other similar reads all appreciated too!)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

IMO No, dont bother with it, its a poor read.

If you like a giggle, Robert Rankin's stuff is good, and there's always Terry Pratchett.
    I'm currently reading a couple of books by Rob Grant which arent bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gagalady

Thanks! Have just started with Terry Prachett - read the first one and have been craving another ever since but really need to concentrate on studies instead! Maybe when all this (the Leaving) is over I can sit down and enjoy reading for leisure again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

I enjoyed Mostly Harmless tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I have a big edition with 6 books in it. I finished Mostly Harmless, thought it was enjoyable but it really wasn't up to scratch compared to the rest. So far I've avoided the 6th book "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe" as I'm afraid it'll just keep getting worse.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Young Zaphod Plays It Safe isn't actually part of the official H2G2 canon, it was originally written for The Utterly Utterly Merry Comic Relief Christmas Book in 1986. It also later appeared in The Salmon of Doubt. It's a short prequel to the first book, but it's been so long since I read it I can't actually remember if it's any good. Must dig it out and re-read it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

How odd. The foreword seems to lend the author's approval to the inclusion, but in the dude's own words the book has never been laid out the same way twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I enjoyed Mostly Harmless tbh...

Me too, it wasn't as good as the others but it was still okay imo.

Apparently Douglas Adams had a crippling case of self-doubt about most of his work and was so pressurised by the enormity of what he was being paid when writing the books that he felt very guilty and therefore spent ages revising and rewriting most sentences. A tortured soul by all accounts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

r3nu4l wrote: »
    A tortured soul by all accounts!

But a genius if ever there was one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Also though Mostly Harmless was a poor follow-on to the rest of the series, I absolutely loved the Dirk Gently series though! very off the wall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

they say he didnt really want to continue the hitchhiker series (well considering he had to be locked up in a hotel to write one or two of them kinda says that alright) - but instead much preferred writing the dirk gently series. Pity they never made a movie of those two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 the mucker

is this an old thread. not sure. Read the first four years ago and loved them. bought the five book collection for a friend going on a trip who didn't get it and gave them back. Read the first four again and loved them, struggling through mostly harmless though. not a patch on first four.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Zaph wrote: »
    Young Zaphod Plays It Safe isn't actually part of the official H2G2 canon, it was originally written for The Utterly Utterly Merry Comic Relief Christmas Book in 1986. It also later appeared in The Salmon of Doubt. It's a short prequel to the first book, but it's been so long since I read it I can't actually remember if it's any good. Must dig it out and re-read it.
    It's okay, but as it's clearly referring to Regan, it's kind of soured in light of the man's Alzheimer's Disease in his later years.

Advertisement