Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama to visit Galway

Options
  • 08-04-2009 12:29am

Connacht Sentinel
    Obama visit set for 2012
    Tue 7th April 2009
    Mayor's invitation to be accepted

x4_Padraig_Obama_0.jpg

US PRESIDENT Barack Obama looks set for a visit to the city in 2012, following talks between the Mayor of Galway and a senior US Embassy official.

The Chargé d’Affaires at the United States Embassy in Dublin, Robert Faucher, requested a meeting with Mayor Padraig Conneely in City Hall last Thursday, at which he said a visit to Galway was high on President Obama’s list of priorities.

Mr Faucher prepared a briefing document on the city during his visit, and showed particular interest in John F Kennedy Park and its Eyre Square surrounds.

During the fourth and final year of US presidential terms of office, it is normal for Presidents to visit other countries to boost their profiles for the next election.

It is expected that after arriving in Shannon, the President would fly to Galway by helicopter after...
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/7100-obama-visit-set-2012

So do you reckon his secretary of state put in a good word?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

pg633 wrote: »
    he said a visit to Galway was high on President Obama’s list of priorities.

It's just below "get a root canal" and "get a sack wax" I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

ya and i'm visiting the moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

* Insert failed attempt at comedy here*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I dont trust him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

He won't come until KFC is opened in the city.

[Sarcasm off]I would love if this actually happened. I'd say he'd pull a crowd of at least 300,000. The best spot would probably the race course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

ronnie3585 wrote: »

McDonagh's now do chicken, might be an extra incentive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

*mono* wrote: »
    McDonagh's now do chicken, might be an extra incentive

Dey got hot sauce?

That could be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Took me a few seconds to get that :D

/wanders off to Lolocaust

Fcuked if i'd make the trek out to the Racecourse just to have a look at this lad, sure I didn't even bother me hole going down to NUIG for Hilary Clinton. What's the big deal? FFS now if it was someone that'd put me on a semi like Rhianna.... totally different story :pac:

I presume that he'd have his own security, imagine the Gardai trying to properly protect someone? If someone came at him with a rifle, what'd they do? Swing the batons? :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Fcuked if i'd make the trek out to the Racecourse just to have a look at this lad, sure I didn't even bother me hole going down to NUIG for Hilary Clinton. What's the big deal? FFS now if it was someone that'd put me on a semi like Rhianna.... totally different story :pac:

I presume that he'd have his own security, imagine the Gardai trying to properly protect someone? If someone came at him with a rifle, what'd they do? Swing the batons? :eek:

Haven't you heard about the Garda Ninja Unit - deadly assassins with just a baton. Based in Templemore, they were top secret, but word has leaked out about their existence since they appeared in the current ad for the Mini convertible...

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Haven't you heard about the Garda Ninja Unit - deadly assassins with just a baton. Based in Templemore, they were top secret, but word has leaked out about their existence since they appeared in the current ad for the Mini convertible...

Yeah but weren't they made redundant after yesterdays budget? Sure no wonder we're in recession, those feckin' Ninja's don't come cheap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If Obama comes I'll go and have a look.
    Think last time a US president was here was in 1963.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Magnus wrote: »
    If Obama comes I'll go and have a look.
    Think last time a US president was here was in 1963.

He was assassinated 5 months later, no wonder they haven't been back since!

Reagan was here in 1984. But he was shot at before he came over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Not sure if I'd go and see him but there would be a great buzz about the place if he did come to Galway.

I have to say though - high on his list of priorities/2012! I wouldn't like to be waiting on him if it were low on his list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

anyone notice the aul hand holding craic going on there with michelle obama and yer man??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Of course Barack is of Irish descent,as all previous U.S presidents were forced to be ! :)

Can You handle the truth ? follow this link,It is absolute proof(link checked for malware) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HplZ_taHXLM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rareroastbeef

Looks like he's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

[Sarcasm off]I would love if this actually happened. I'd say he'd pull a crowd of at least 300,000. The best spot would probably the race course.

Heyyyyyy is that racist?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Heyyyyyy is that racist?

Gabby Johnson: Hey! The sheriff's a nig...
    [Clock bell chimes]
    Harriet Johnson: What did he say?
    Dr. Sam Johnson: He said the sheriff's near.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Gabby Johnson: Hey! The sheriff's a nig...
    [Clock bell chimes]
    Harriet Johnson: What did he say?
    Dr. Sam Johnson: He said the sheriff's near.

Governor "Have you gone insane, can't you see that that man is a nig"

Just watched it this past weekend for the 100th time.

"Excuse me while I whip this out"

There's a new thread for 2011.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement