Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Vs. ASP.NET

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Effective at what?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

schillachi wrote: »
    Can anyone solve the argument as to which one is more effective overall?

That's like asking which car is better, which airline is better, which food is nicer - it all depends.

Your question is too vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

.net, definitely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

John_Mc wrote: »
    .net, definitely :D

PHP is better.

*grabs popcorn and a comfy seat*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Used php all along, very interested to find opinions on .net and if it's easier/more useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

bladespin wrote: »
    Used php all along, very interested to find opinions on .net and if it's easier/more useful.

I've messed around with PHP but have developed on asp.net for the 5 or 6 years.

One thing I couldn't get my head around is the lack of controls in PHP. E.g If I wanted to display data in a grid, I'd have to render the grid row by row in code.

In .net, I could drag and drop a Gridview control onto the page and then hook it up to a datasource. I'd have a pageable, sortable databound grid of contents from my DB or XML file etc without writing more than a few lines of code.

Is there something like this in PHP that I dont know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ah not this crud again.. this comes up once every 3 months or so.

To synopsize all the other arguments back and forth..

Both are brilliant, can make anything work including world peace(*) etc etc etc...

Just depends on which one you want to use, your restrictions, your knowledge of the technology, your predisposition to the language/tech, your ability to learn

Examples of brilliant PHP, Facebook, Yahoo etc. Examples of brilliant .NET Microsoft.com, Ferrari.com (MOSS), Codeplex etc

Examples of bad PHP/.NET .. look everywhere

Can you run both on Windows and Linux .. yes for both techs, using Mono for .NET for example

Ones open source tho.. well you can look at .NET thru MS-PL.

I love .net/php and think the other one is crap.. thats great you are an amazing programmer just be quiet now and let the grownups talk.

Think that should shorten the thread done to only 1 page.

Cant we all just get along???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Ginger wrote: »
    Ah not this crud again.. this comes up once every 3 months or so.

To synopsize all the other arguments back and forth..

Both are brilliant, can make anything work including world peace(*) etc etc etc...

Just depends on which one you want to use, your restrictions, your knowledge of the technology, your predisposition to the language/tech, your ability to learn

Examples of brilliant PHP, Facebook, Yahoo etc. Examples of brilliant .NET Microsoft.com, Ferrari.com (MOSS), Codeplex etc

Examples of bad PHP/.NET .. look everywhere

Can you run both on Windows and Linux .. yes for both techs, using Mono for .NET for example

Ones open source tho.. well you can look at .NET thru MS-PL.

I love .net/php and think the other one is crap.. thats great you are an amazing programmer just be quiet now and let the grownups talk.

Think that should shorten the thread done to only 1 page.

Cant we all just get along???

Relax, you don't have to take part in the discussion if you already have done so numerous times! :eek:

P.S Posting to make this go over 1 page:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

I dont care personally as long as it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

schillachi wrote: »
    Can anyone solve the argument as to which one is more effective overall?

No, that argument cannot be resolved.

OR

The right tools for the job is the correct answer.

It depends on what you're doing, the hardware available, the skills available and a whole host of other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

The clear answer is PHP.NET

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Teh Russ

I say PHP, purely for the user community. Every answer to any question you could ever have about programming in PHP is available online.

As for stuff like gridviews for data, there are plenty of PHP frameworks out there (CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Zend, Symfony, etc) that make doing this kind of thing easy. Although, personally, I prefer to write the code involved for something like that by hand - I prefer that degree of control, but I can see the use of frameworks if you need to prototype something or get it done quickly.

ASP.NET is a great technology though, that whole common language runtime is awesome, allowing you to use all different kinds of programming languages. I was talking to someone the other day who was developing a website using it... in COBOL. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Well currently I'm learning PHP and I find it very practical.

I've glanced through .NET and found it to be more integrated.

But as a previous poster said, you can get all the help you need for PHP online.

I'm still in secondary so maybe I'll switch to .NET after a few years if PHP seems to limit me...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

SirDarren wrote: »
    Well currently I'm learning PHP and I find it very practical.

I've glanced through .NET and found it to be more integrated.

But as a previous poster said, you can get all the help you need for PHP online.

I'm still in secondary so maybe I'll switch to .NET after a few years if PHP seems to limit me...

If I have any advice (and I always do :P) it would be to focus on OOP regardless of what language you're learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Teh Russ wrote: »
    I say PHP, purely for the user community. Every answer to any question you could ever have about programming in PHP is available online.

As for stuff like gridviews for data, there are plenty of PHP frameworks out there (CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Zend, Symfony, etc) that make doing this kind of thing easy. Although, personally, I prefer to write the code involved for something like that by hand - I prefer that degree of control, but I can see the use of frameworks if you need to prototype something or get it done quickly.

ASP.NET is a great technology though, that whole common language runtime is awesome, allowing you to use all different kinds of programming languages. I was talking to someone the other day who was developing a website using it... in COBOL. :eek:
    There's another way of looking at that. If the user community has already such a high level of knowledge, it suggests there are already a loty of people with a high level of knowledge. If there is a lower overall level of knowledge in your area, then your skills are more likely to be valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

.Net as a language is far more powerful then php. The data structures available destroy anything in PHP.

Of course it doesnt mean its right for whatever you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

damnyanks wrote: »
    .Net as a language is far more powerful then php. The data structures available destroy anything in PHP.

care to elabourate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

damnyanks wrote: »

Of course it doesnt mean its right for whatever you are doing.

Oki doki, .NET is a technology/runtime, not a language for starters. The languages are numerous from the obvious C# to less obvious COBOL.NET& S# for example. All they have to do is conform to CLI specs and you are laughing.

Now, as for datastructures, well thats the runtime for you, and I doubt that PHP frameworks such as Zend and Fusebox would NOT have similar structures.

Advertisement