Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo looks dead

Options
  • 07-04-2009 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

help !

i've got a bamboo plant in a (very) large pot on my balcony. before christmas i noticed that the green leaves lost their colour and now coming into spring all the leave are like straw! i'm worried that the cold winter may have killed it. i've always made sure that it was watered and given plant food on a monthly basis is there anything i've missed?

appreciate ur comments

rgds

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Moznips wrote: »
    help !

i've got a bamboo plant in a (very) large pot on my balcony. before christmas i noticed that the green leaves lost their colour and now coming into spring all the leave are like straw! i'm worried that the cold winter may have killed it. i've always made sure that it was watered and given plant food on a monthly basis is there anything i've missed?

appreciate ur comments

rgds

P

Bamboos do not like persistent wind which will dehydrate plant quickly and ultimately suffer windburn/scorch. But most likely problem relates to drought, which is # 1 cause of death with bamboos (especially in planters).
    However some can recover from severe drying out 'straw colour appearance' but will take months and much attention to do so.

Probably better to dump and start afresh. Incidentally try and use a planter which has an in-built irrigation/water reservoir. There are alternatives to bamboo which might be better to cope with your aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

tks very much for you reply.

i'm going to stick it out with this plant and try and make it recover. feel bad as it was a present.

cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Try cutting it right down to the base and keep it moist, this has worked for me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

tks for that tip

:D

Advertisement