Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Budget 2009 Documents in ODF (OpenOffice) format.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

hooray!
    Now if we could just get them to write a good budget! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There'd be a way of saving money - convert the civil service to open source and do away with MS licensing fees. There'd be an initial investment in rolling out and training of course but the long term benefits could be huge. It's worked in France.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I believe some of the German states shifted to foss too, and the Dutch... and I recently read
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7910110.stm
    but the last time I read that of the UK it turned out to be a bargaining strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

It's another example of revenue getting it right with IT, their systems have got to be gigantic and complex yet they still manage to be flexible and accurate. That outcome is down to in-house savvy with support from the top, and unlike those presiding over PPARS or PULSE they don't try to use IT as a trojan horse to sneak changes past the IR process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I like the web page were they describe the different formats available for download. I think the information about ODF is useful and positive. There's handy links to OpenOffice and StarOffice too: http://budget.gov.ie/instructions.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gary Conway

Macros42 wrote: »
    There'd be a way of saving money - convert the civil service to open source and do away with MS licensing fees. There'd be an initial investment in rolling out and training of course but the long term benefits could be huge. It's worked in France.

The Office of Public Works have been using Open office for 3 years now along with a number of other Open Source products such as the GIMP, Scribus, Firefox to name a few.

The initial cost of deployment and training is a minute fraction of the cost of paying MS licensing fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Really? Excellent. It's good to see progress is being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Glad to hear about the OPW, maybe they could spread the good news to other government departments.

I think deployment and training for OpenOffice would be far easier, and less costly, than for the so called "upgraded products" promoted by existing software vendors. Although training might help for using OpenOffice, for basic needs it's not essential. The interface is so familiar most people can use it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

A friend of mine in College (who's mother works in Agri Dept) told me they converted to Ubuntu on their desktops; anyone hear of that?

Advertisement