If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT

Options
  • 07-04-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭

Can i pay vat in ireland from Richersounds or will my vat be going to her majesty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

<Mod Snip>

@RUDOLF289,

This forum is for queries to Richersounds on deals, delivery and other related issues. Your willingness to be helpful is appreciated but it's up to Richersounds to answer queries directly, particularly on issues such as these.

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

bmm wrote: »
    Can i pay vat in ireland from Richersounds or will my vat be going to her majesty?

Bmm,

This is the gospel: If you purchase goods from Richer Sounds Ireland in Belfast or Richersounds PLC in The UK vat is levied at 15% and is due and payable by RS to the UK revenue.

If you are a resident of the Republic of Ireland and you can prove that you have a valid Republic of Ireland vat registration and that goods you order are for business use and you provide Richer Sounds with the correct documentation then we are able to export goods to the Republic of Ireland on a VAT free basis - however please note that we will require sight of original revenue documents and your entitlement to use these documents and an official order on Company letter head prior to releasing goods on a VAT free basis.

Also please note that under NO circumstances will we release goods to any individual in our Belfast store on a VAT free basis - goods must be exported by us out of the state (NI) to comply with EU VAT regulations.

Certain products we can sell via our Philips Shop in Dublin and the VAT on these goods will be payable to ROI revenue - however as I am sure you are aware these goods attract a vat rate of 21.5%.

In the event of any query please feel free to contact either Ursula or myself and we are always happy to assist,

Thanks for the enquiry,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

<snip>

<snip>

• Advertisement

The bottom line is (and please remember that I live down South!) on a daily basis we get people coming into the shop, chests puffed out in importance, stating

'I'm from the South and I want to buy that (pointing wildly to something expensive) and I don't have to pay the VAT, please package it up for me boyo as I'm in an awful hurry'

When we say that actually is not possible they will argue for the rest of the day, say they have just been into Sainsburys in Sprucefield (great store by the way, much better than Newry) and the Manager in Sainsburys personally paid the VAT and popped the cases of wine into the back of the pick-up for them!

So our position is - if we feel that a Customer is trying to purchase goods when they are not entitled to - we ask for documented proof - there is a simple reason - it's really easy to quote a VAT number, any VAT number - it does not mean that you have an entitlement to use it - I would love to be able to ship everything out VAT free - but here is the big catch - unless we can prove that the goods have been purchased on a bona fide basis WE are liable to pay the VAT - (now you know why I'm sensitive about it!)

This specifically is my business and unless we are happy that the goods are ordered by a Customer with a valid VAT registration who is entitled to use that Vat number - we won't supply the goods! (see above - we hate paying other peoples VAT to HM govt!)

Thanks again and don't fret - we do VAT free sales every day and we really don't make it as difficult as it sounds - once we agree that the VAT reg is valid we post it on our system and then it's valid for 12 months!

Thanks again,

ATB

John mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

<snip>

<super snip>

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

RUDOLF289,
    You will have PM shortly, do not post on this thread again or a ban will ensue. Please see the Mod comment on your first post in this thread.

ALL:

This is not an appropriate forum for dissertations on tax, VAT or otherwise, take it elsewhere on Boards. Johnmc's word is final regarding commercial dealings with Richersounds.

I'll clean up this thread shortly. Kristopherus, some of your posts are lilkely to disappear through collateral damage, but your helpful intervention is appreciated.

Ritz.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

<SNIP>

Mod Comment:

darc, please see my request in the post directly before this one,

ALL:

This is not an appropriate forum for dissertations on tax, VAT or otherwise, take it elsewhere on Boards. Johnmc's word is final regarding commercial dealings with Richersounds.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

johnmc wrote:
    This is the gospel: If you purchase goods from Richer Sounds Ireland in Belfast or Richersounds PLC in The UK vat is levied at 15% and is due and payable by RS to the UK revenue.

If you are a resident of the Republic of Ireland and you can prove that you have a valid Republic of Ireland vat registration and that goods you order are for business use and you provide Richer Sounds with the correct documentation then we are able to export goods to the Republic of Ireland on a VAT free basis - however please note that we will require sight of original revenue documents and your entitlement to use these documents and an official order on Company letter head prior to releasing goods on a VAT free basis.

Also please note that under NO circumstances will we release goods to any individual in our Belfast store on a VAT free basis - goods must be exported by us out of the state (NI) to comply with EU VAT regulations.

Certain products we can sell via our Philips Shop in Dublin and the VAT on these goods will be payable to ROI revenue - however as I am sure you are aware these goods attract a vat rate of 21.5%.

In the event of any query please feel free to contact either Ursula or myself and we are always happy to assist,

Thanks for the enquiry,

ATB,

John Mc

When you say you require sight of the vat documents would they need to be seen in person (considering I live over 200miles from NI it would be impractical). Also is VAT levied on the delivery charge also?

I have my eye on a Panasonic Plasma for displaying to customers a video of a new product and your prices seem much more competitive than down here and the ability to get it shipped down and not have to pay the vat would probably be the clincher for me. Do you ship down to Co. Kerry?

No - Don't worry we dont expect you to appear in person!

We normally just get a scan of the revenue cert or a scan of a revenue letter showing the VAT reference and we are happy to ship on that basis.

Hope that's all okay and apologies for the delay in my reply,

ATB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.