Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 2000th Post

Options
  • 07-04-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭

2000TH POST
    Well, I was trying to decide whether to write something profound, Knowledgeable or amazing, and then I realised that I am none of the above and never had great writing abilities.

So what to write about in my 2000th post.

POKER
    How do I feel my game has progressed, it hasn't really. I find sometimes if I am playing in tournaments, that things are going on around me, i see people making moves accumulating chips, and I feel more like an observer, rather than a participant. I haven't yet sat down at a game, and felt 100% good about my play, I don't know if this is a confidence thing or what. In my opinion a players state of mind going into a tournament is a huge factor. If your confidence is down, you second guess yourself, and see trouble all around you. I feel that I haven't taken full advantage of the cards I get.

How would other people perceive my play?
    = Weak tight nit - who telegraphs big hands a bit too much.

On another note, I was on the players Committee in the Fitzwilliam but due to work changes etc, and time constraints i won't be playing as much cards over the next few months, so I have stepped down from the Committee.... I will still put up posts about upcoming events etc., and it will remain my "home away from home"

WORK
    It's tough working in the Construction sector at the moment with the recession, and you are always looking over your shoulder, wondering if the company will survive. I was working during the last recession of late 80's early 90's, the big difference is that I was younger, more innocent and way more optimistic about things lol..

I'm afraid it's the "keep the head down and try and get through it" kind of feeling for the whole country. I am finding it hard to leave work behind me at 5.30 p.m. which is causing a fair bit of stress. I need to learn to "turn off" so to speak, because it is affecting my health. I find that I am having a couple of drinks here and there to wind down, and that isn't good for your overall physical or mental health.

LIFE

Life in general is great, no holidays booked yet, but I'm determined that were going to go somewhere completely different this year....(better mention that to Martin lol), sometimes I don't realise how lucky I am to have someone like Martin around, to have the same interest in poker etc., he keeps me grounded, and always makes me smile, cue rosmatic music in background, all together now awwww....

BOARDS POKER FORUM
    The poker forum has certainly gotten bigger over the last year or two and I always feel a certain bit of pride when I see an Irish Poker player or a boardsie doing well.

who will ever forget
    Marty "The Rock" Smith winning W.S.O.P $10,000 PLO

WSOPBRACELETMARTYSMITH.jpg

& then winning Ladbrokes Poker Million, where there were 4 Irish players in the top 4, wow just wow.

MartySmyth.jpg

or, lest we forget John "D4" O'Shea final tabling a W.S.O.P. Event, with his dodgy visor

john-oshea-21455.jpg

and lastly Rory "I'm too sexy for my shirt" Reese Brennan winning the I.P.C.

roryReeseBrennan.jpg

but there is another aspect of Boards I don't Like.... The "I'll play you heads up for bank rolls mentality"... I suppose there is a little bit of arrogance needed to play poker, but I feel this is gone a little to far, but that's me I suppose.

Due to work, and trying to get healthier etc., I will be playing much less tournaments during the week and with so much choice around I will have to pick my weekend games wisely, so I might be me around the poker rooms as much (although i might just be in the S.E. tonight for the last Irish Open Satellite lol:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Good luck to everyone playing in the Irish Open this years, lets hope for more success from Irish Players, que chance to use my favourite picture

getinthere-1.jpg

ROLL ON THE IRISH OPEN - YEPEE -

to sign off all I can say is smile (it helps the recession thing a bit) and try to treat people at the poker tables the way you would like to be treated,

Smurph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Adrock-aka

try to treat people at the poker tables the way you would like to be treated

WP!

Good post

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Nice outlook Smurph,keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Great post Smurph. Gl in the Irish Open

(post of the day is on the way for it surely)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

my favourite picture

getinthere-1.jpg
    This is my mate Ronan's kid. I love how that picture went all round the internets. She's e-famous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kebabfest

Good post Smurph and I admire your honesty. However there is 1 thing I'll never understand about you.
    Why oh why do you hate poor old Bob so ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

lol,

im beginning to warm to the guy, honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Just a few comments from one pal to another pal....

Holidays

I highly recommend the following hotel and location, was there 2 years ago and it was the best hol I've ever been on. Since than 4 groups of my friends have been and they all love it. My highlight was swimming with Dolphin, sharks, Sting Rays etc. Also Chicken Itiza amazing site, the local night club "CoCo Bongs" is rated in the top 10 in the world the food and drink was all top quality and real value for money, plus its somewhere different.

Mexico and this hotel, travel through the states to get there...

http://www.riu.com/cancun/

Tropical places do packages or Thompson from the UK, all-inclusive and excellant value, the Mexicans like poker too...lol

As per Martin, its really time to get a upgrade model.... only joking. I love bumping into you guys and besides Willow and Eamonn you are both a real Irish Poker Couple in my eyes and give each other plenty of support. It must be helpiful to share such a strong interest.

Totally agree on your comments about work and I think a lot of people forget what the 80's were like. If you remember been in school and been told your been educate to leave the country than you have a idea what I'm talking about.

Finally your game. I think sometimes you try to get involve to often. In tournament play you should only be playing around 10% of the hands even less. If people want to steal and re-steal all over the place, than let them. They will be easily trap at some stage has most of these players can't give up on a hand. You have a very good table image and a excellant reputation along with a brilliant game. So give the confidence a big boost and go and win the IO.

GL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Thanks ollie,
    The Hotel looks amazing, but I actually got sunstroke 3 times in Ireland, yes IRELAND.....

there is a little bit of albino blood in my family (don't ask, long story, lots of drink needed to repeat) so i fry in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Nice post :)
    smurph wrote: »

POKER
    How do I feel my game has progressed, it hasn't really.

You modestly make this assumption, yet. :confused:
    I find sometimes if I am playing in tournaments, that things are going on around me, i see people making moves accumulating chips, and I feel more like an observer, rather than a participant. I haven't yet sat down at a game, and felt 100% good about my play, I don't know if this is a confidence thing or what. In my opinion a players state of mind going into a tournament is a huge factor. If your confidence is down, you second guess yourself, and see trouble all around you. I feel that I haven't taken full advantage of the cards I get.

This suggests a deep understanding of the game ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I'd go along with Ollie's sentiments Smurph, I remember you commenting on a game in the red cow about two years ago about how you felt a spectator at the table when myself and bomber were 3/4- each other every other hand. But who won the tournament- you did. You've had deep runs at the IPC twice and in reality were only a race or two or a bit of a rush away from becoming the champ twice. You should be confident of your game as your results speak for there self. Best of luck for the weekend

ps is that a Hollaments t-shirt O Shea is wearing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great post Smurph.

Most players I know don't like to have you on their table. I'd personally rate you as one of the better Irish tournament players. Trust your own game and best of luck in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ElectraBlue

Congrats on the 2000th Post! :cool:

I think you are being too hard on yourself Collette, you are clearly a better player than you claim to be... weak-tight-nit my foot(!) From my observation of your play (from dealing on your table more than playing against you mind! :p) you appear confident in your own game, you pick your spots well, get your money in good, and clearly mark yourself as 'highly likely' to go deep... I've yet to see you exit a game by losing a race chancing your arm with poxy hands like half the loons here! ;)

Good luck in the IO! Just go, play your damnest and enjoy the game... win or lose, cos that's whats it all about!!! :DGET IN THERE!!!!

See you at the tables! ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cut out the inspirational shoves with 8BB's from the BB with 83o after 5 calling station limpers and you will do just fine Smurph :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Work: The more you do the more you get.
    Recessions pass. Action is happening to fix things.

Poker: You are good. Just don't read too many poker books.

I agree with your comment about heads up for rolls.
    Keeping your ego from inflating or deflating is a big part of poker. Some don't manage it.

Nothing wrong with taking a bit of a break to rekindle your enthusiasm.
    Keep playing and posting. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrPreachan

Nice post Smurf, only played with you once and was a pleasure, in 2 hours I learnt a lot off you. Best of luck in the IO.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

Good luck in the IO.Have played with you a few times and think you have every chance. Good blog also, very honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

You know yourself always a pleasure and all that :) seeing you last night but didnt get the chance to say hello, focus focus focus i was trying.

Best of luck in the IO, should be up the weekend will drop over and say hello this time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

Hi Smurph, I hold you in high regard when it comes to poker minds , infact im scared ****less of you at the table . Great post and i look forward to locking horns at the tables with you soon as we always seem to have good craic. Goodluck at the open .
    Regards ..Damo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Great post.

I'm not a Liverpool fan - in fact I'm a Chelsea fan - But for some reason "You'll Never Walk Alone" is going through my head.

You're a far better player than you give yourself credit for Smurph. And you have the respect of many of the posters on here. That is something not easily earned.

Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Fatboydim wrote: »
    Great post.

I'm not a Liverpool fan - in fact I'm a Chelsea fan - But for some reason "You'll Never Walk Alone" is going through my head.

You're a far better player than you give yourself credit for Smurph. And you have the respect of many of the posters on here. That is something not easily earned.

Best of luck to you.

Take this audacious veiled brag to where it belongs Len :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭FuttBucker

very nice post, played with you for the 1st time the other week in jackpot and maybe we'll play against each other soon :)

ps. i had Q3s when i 3bet you that time, using my nit imaga to advantage :)

Advertisement