Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Machine

Options
  • 07-04-2009 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I love coffee but know damn all about making it. But I am about to invest in a coffee making machine for my kitchen so I can have freshly ground coffee without having to leave home. Any advice on what I should be looking out for, functions, brands ect.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What type of coffee do you like and what sort of a figure to you intend to spend?

The grinder is more important than the machine but you seem to realize that :)
    so I can have freshly ground coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭getonyourboots

Well a machine that could do everything would be cool but most importantly one that can produce good quality strong black coffee.

Would like to get something around the 100 euro mark but could stretch to 200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Well a machine that could do everything would be cool but most importantly one that can produce good quality strong black coffee.

Best bet for €100 is a decent grinder and a french-press.
    http://www.javarepublic.com/iopen24/product_info.php?products_id=1269

http://www.squaremileblog.com/2008/11/12/videocast-2-french-press-technique/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Well for black coffee I'd recommend a decent grinder and a french press.

If you plan on maybe buying an espresso machine in the future you should shell out for a decent grinder now so it's still of use to you if you do buy the espresso machine. For the time being you could use the grinder for the french press, a moka pot or even an aeropress. This is about as good as it gets for the money, adjusting between grinds is tricky so I wouldn't advise you to do it too often if at all once you get it dialled in (dialling it in is just adjusting the coarseness of grind). The french press and moka pot are widely available in Ireland.

If you don't plan on expanding into an espresso machine and reckon you'll be happy with decent black coffee then I'd recommend this grinder reviewed here with the french press. This grinder won't grind fine enough for a moka pot or aeropress but it's all you need for the french press which is one of the cheapest and the best ways of brewing cofffee.

Remember to pick up some good freshly roasted beans to try the kit out on, check the roast date or ask here for some recommendations as you won't make a silk purse from a cow's ear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

My GF bought me one recently for my birthday. Before that I would just drink white coffee at home and lattes when out in a cafe. So I went for a Delonghi EC270 (Euro 150, i think) pump expresso maker. So, obviously it makes expressos, it has a milk steamer on the side so you can also do lattes and cappacuinos. The steamer arm is a bit badly designed however, as it is too close to what ever surface you have the machine on, so have to angle the container you have your milk in. At first making lattes is a bit labour-some and messy, but you get used to it and now I can make them pretty quick. Have gotten more into drinking expresso from it now, using pre-ground expresso coffee like Lavazza. All in all i think it is a good machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

I'm looking to buy a machine too.
    What I want is a latte or cappuccino maker that I can turn on in the morning, stick a travel mug under it and let it do it's thing while I get ready to leave the house.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

johnp wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a machine too.
    What I want is a latte or cappuccino maker that I can turn on in the morning, stick a travel mug under it and let it do it's thing while I get ready to leave the house.

Any ideas?

I'd love one of these too, but unfortunatley I don't think they exist! or if they do they would very expensive. Latte: 1 shot expresso + mug of steamed milk. Capppuccino: equal measures of expresso shots and steamed milk. so you have to do each stage separately. you kind of have to stand over it for 5 mins, make the expresso, then do your steamed milk, then combine.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

I'd love one of these too, but unfortunatley I don't think they exist! or if they do they would very expensive. Latte: 1 shot expresso + mug of steamed milk. Capppuccino: equal measures of expresso shots and steamed milk. so you have to do each stage separately. you kind of have to stand over it for 5 mins, make the expresso, then do your steamed milk, then combine.

dammit, asking for too much, was I :p

Ah well, maybe I'll just have to go the old fashioned route. Cheers anyways.

Advertisement