Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to get Joe Canny back playing snooker

Options
  • 06-04-2009 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

hi Joe Canny is by a long way the most talented snooker player ireland has seen with the exception of alex higgins, ken doherty and myself LOL,:)

SERIOUSLY THOUGH THIS GUY IS CLASS ANYONE REMEMBER HIM FROM IRISH AMATEURS?

BTW I HAVE SEEN THIS GUY PICK UP A CUE HAVING NOT PLAYED FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND BANG CENTURIES IN!!

CLASS ACT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SolvaDean

I worked with Joe for a couple of years back in the mid 90's when he was at the high od his game. A uper player and really great guy. Love to see him back playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

fell out of love with the game did he?

he sound s like a pure natural talent,i'll sign the petition.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SolvaDean

Not really sure what happened to him. He won the ireland snooker champship in 1996 and just missed out on the qorl quarter finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

get a facebook page set up, that would get more coverage. just an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1 garyb873

saw him play in the snooker hall in celbridge over the years.. gifted player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aarymark

joe was indeed a great player back in the day but martin mc crudden is the most gifted ive seen

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

theres a lot of great amatures that gave up the game for 1 reason or another,john buckley,paul o donaghue,johnny farrell,james linehan,billy o niell,mick kane,dave kelly,stan murphy,flan hayes are just a few names off the top of my head...the list is endless and sad so see so many really good players who chucked it in without fulfilling their potential,even sadder when you see that R.I.B.S.A are struggling to get 60/70 entries for a senior event compared to at least 128 competitors around 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aarymark

theres a lot of great amatures that gave up the game for 1 reason or another,john buckley,paul o donaghue,johnny farrell,james linehan,billy o niell,mick kane,dave kelly,stan murphy,flan hayes are just a few names off the top of my head...the list is endless and sad so see so many really good players who chucked it in without fulfilling their potential,even sadder when you see that R.I.B.S.A are struggling to get 60/70 entries for a senior event compared to at least 128 competitors around 5 years ago.

brings a smile to my face reading those names, used to be some craic at points tournaments 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

aarymark wrote: »
    brings a smile to my face reading those names, used to be some craic at points tournaments 20 years ago

I used to play them aswell (still play the odd one),some brilliant memories of great nights on and off the table in places like the wexford,cork,dublin,galway and carlow.made friends in nearly every county,friendly rivalries,great banter,high's,low's and sinking plenty of the black stuff.
    It also got me thinking of a few more names from the past,Paul Dowling,John Cronin(r.i.p.),Douglas Hogan,Cameron Fidgeon,Jason Watson,Sid O Connor.....Can anyone think of any other players?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Stephen Murphy, Anthony O'Connor, Damien Mc Kiernan, Gay Burns, Jimmy Long, Paul Ennis, all great lads and great fun to be around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Joe has a lot of problems in his private life, i saw him about 3 months ago and let's just say a snooker comeback is not on the cards. Anybody who knows Joe knows him as a skinny, edgy guy with a great sense of humour. He's put on a lot of weight and things not going so well. Pity though - he could stroll in hammered and still make 100 having not lifted a cue in years. Defo the best player i've ever seen.

I remember him losing the head big time one day, he was on 87 with 3 reds left against Martin, and Martin conceded the session said "that'll do Joe" and walked off and he said "are ya off ur head there's 140 on here" LOL.

Best cash game players in Ireland were defo Johnny Farrell and Carl Murphy. You could stick your house on both of them in the money games against nearly anybody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Joe has a lot of problems in his private life, i saw him about 3 months ago and let's just say a snooker comeback is not on the cards. Anybody who knows Joe knows him as a skinny, edgy guy with a great sense of humour. He's put on a lot of weight and things not going so well. Pity though - he could stroll in hammered and still make 100 having not lifted a cue in years. Defo the best player i've ever seen.

I remember him losing the head big time one day, he was on 87 with 3 reds left against Martin, and Martin conceded the session said "that'll do Joe" and walked off and he said "are ya off ur head there's 140 on here" LOL.

Best cash game players in Ireland were defo Johnny Farrell and Carl Murphy. You could stick your house on both of them in the money games against nearly anybody.

Carl Murphy from Dublin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

zack01 wrote: »
    Carl Murphy from Dublin ?

Yeah played out of celbridge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I used to play them aswell (still play the odd one),some brilliant memories of great nights on and off the table in places like the wexford,cork,dublin,galway and carlow.made friends in nearly every county,friendly rivalries,great banter,high's,low's and sinking plenty of the black stuff.
    It also got me thinking of a few more names from the past,Paul Dowling,John Cronin(r.i.p.),Douglas Hogan,Cameron Fidgeon,Jason Watson,Sid O Connor.....Can anyone think of any other players?

Remembered Douglas, great snooker player with great tactician, His father was a dentist, he pursued him to go other career than trying to be a Snooker champion.. His father was right, Douglas is a millionaire now.. Very High at IQ and a Great chess player.. Fair play to him...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

I remember all those players great thread! played myself finished 33 on the senior rankings I think one year, there were also legends like Mark Dooley, Gary Hardiman, John Wims, Joe Delayney Wexford David Forde Joe Delaney Dublin Mick Farrell Wexford, Frank Sarsfield Mick Kane Paul Ennis Tommy Gleeson absolute legend I remember him in watching games with headphones before his match and standing beside him hearing U2 blaring out of his headphones. I remember games on a Friday night and up to 160 entries for tournaments.
    My career highlight was being 3-0 up best of 7 against Frank Sarsfield in the last 64 of the national championship I was a qualifier Frank was top 10 and Stanley Murphy coming up to me and saying your on fire boy potting them off the lampshades fair play. It went to my head I was on a 45 with the colours left and looking good for 4-0 against a top 10 player me a qualifier 4-0 shock of the tournament and there was a crowd building to see the upset of the tournament. Instead of rolling the green into the middle I went to put it in the bottom corner and go round the angles for the brown with side for a flashy clearance for the fans. Of course I jangled the green in the pocket and let Frank in who won the frame and the next two to go 3-3 now everyone playing other and matches were watching and me and frank were missing balls in the penultimate frame and cursing and going mad under the summer heat in the ivy rooms in Carlow. Joe Delaney was actually reffing the game and I missed a blue splitting the pack and lost it kicked the table and roared Jesus Christ at the top of my voice I got an official warning from Joe and the tournament director, ( Apparently I heard afterwards John Farrell was on 96 and missed a red just after I had the outburst. he told me afterwards I was a headcase and not to feel bad he got a kick anyway telling I was a mad yolke) Anyway after my outburst I seized the chance at the next opportunity and beat Frank although got a fluky blue but potted the pink to leave him needing snookers. In fairness to Frank a great sportsman he said I deserved to win after playing so well in the first few frames and everyone was talking about the match and all the events in it. Ya those days were class I was a student so if you won a few matches you were delighted and if you lost depending on the high profile character exits you would have some session on the beer. The munster boys in particular were legends absolute mad feckers but great craic. Great characters decent lads in snooker in fairness miss those days

Love to see Joe canny looked so natural and fluent when breaking building back again remembering making 2 centuries back to back against me and being very dignified saying I was unlucky he beat me 3-1 and ended up winning the tournament

Advertisement