If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value 32'' LCD?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I landed here by coworker's recommendations, he had some really nice words about Richer Sounds!

Anyway, I just moved to Dublin and badly need a decent TV. I decided to get a 32'' LCD, any word on the best value out there? Heard some good stuff about the LG 32LG3000, but I'm open to suggestions.

Budget is tight, though. Any open box/refurbished/crazy Easter sale on the horizon? I care about image quality (no videophile though, 720p is fine), and Freeview is a must.

Also, what about that MPEG4 decoder thing? Will I need it in the near future to watch channels over Freeview?

Last question: what's the delivery price to Dublin (for a 32'' LCD, that is)? The website says 59.95 pounds, but I think I've seen some people on boards.ie paying only 20 pounds... Shed some light, will ya?

Please help me out with a good price here!

Cheers,

--
    Flavio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mossir

<Snip>

Mod Comment:

This forum if for interraction with Richersounds - Please take comments such as these to the Home Entertainment Forum.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

I don't want to take this too off topic but since you mention it I think it's relevant. Regarding the whole freeview/DTT mpeg2 mpeg4 thing. For full information take a look at the "Television -> Terrestrial" forum.

In brief "Freeview" is effectively a marketing term used in the UK market to describe their Digital Terrestrial Televsion (DTT) transmission system (that description is accurate enough for the topic under discussion).

The UK system uses mpeg2 and so freeview refers to mpeg2.
    When DTT launches here in south Ireland (and the tests currently being run) will use mpeg4.
    To confuse things the trials which took place here (ended last august approx) used mpeg2 (But that's all over).

So freeview branding on a TV is of no use to you what so ever most people will probably need a STB (set top box) to get DTT in Ireland.

HOWEVER SOME TV's as you've spotted, support mpeg4. Also some TVs have a CAM slot (like a satellite box cam slot) where you can add an mpeg4 decoder card. However, there are very mixed reports on getting this to work with the irish broadcast system on certain models - some Sonys and some Samsungs have worked others have not (AFAIK). There is also no indication if this solution will work with commercial DTT provided by boxer (at least not that I know of - I stopped following this a while ago).

So at least know (or accept that you don't know) what will work come October.

Once of the most likely recession time solutions will be the combined DTT/Sat HD decoders STB. RTE via DTT BBC 1-7 (+ all the FTA) via sat all on one box on one EPG. Then dump sky/ntl. If that's attrative to you then you can elimate mpeg4 from your TV selection criteria.

Hope that helps a little (perhaps not) sorry for off topic-ish.
    To return to prime topic I love the sammys, a number of good deals on these around at the moment.

Rgds
    Kevin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

@kdobey,

In general it's preferrable that these threads stay on topic regarding queries to Richersounds on deals, availability etc. but this clarification is very helpful, thanks for that.

To all,

Please do not use this thread as a discussion of Freesat, DTT etc, please take these topics to Tech/Cable and Digital TV as indicated above.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Xacrinha

Have a look at this - it our 32PFL5403D

www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl5403d_10/32pfl5403d_10_pss_eng.pdf

Its a 32" HD Ready LCD TV (but will take any TV res up to 1080p/24Hz)
    Whilst it doesn't have the newer MPEG4 tuner built in you'll be able to plug a MPEG4 decoder box/PVR into it when they become available later this year.

Its a pretty cool TV at a very nice price of €479.99 plus is very well featured (4x HDMI & 2x SCART, PixelPlus HD processing) Its a very solid performimg TV and is happy with Sky/NTL, DVD and really shines when fed HD!

I only have a VERY limited number left mind.

In the first part of May this will be available

www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl5604h_12/32pfl5604h_12_pss_aen.pdf

Its a FULL HD and MPEG4 version of the 32PFL5403 and looks like it will be around the €600 mark

Give me a buzz on (01) 474 0788
    Ash
    The Philips Shop

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Flavio,

thanks for the email and apologies for the delay in my reply.

Ok just to clarify before I start off and someone jumps down my throat- the LG32LG3000 is not MPEG4 compliant!

You will need MPEG4 at some stage in the future when the analogue transmissions are switched off (after listening to the budget this afternoon it may be switched off at midnight tonight..) However if you currently use SKY or NTL you will not require MPEG4.

The 32LG3000 is priced at £329.95 and shipping for boardies is indeed £19.95 - we currently don't ship the 32LG3000 as supply is really tight.... however if you twist our arm......

Drop me a line if we can assist and again, apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

ATB,

John Mc
    xacrinha wrote: »
    Hi,

I landed here by coworker's recommendations, he had some really nice words about Richer Sounds!

Anyway, I just moved to Dublin and badly need a decent TV. I decided to get a 32'' LCD, any word on the best value out there? Heard some good stuff about the LG 32LG3000, but I'm open to suggestions.

Budget is tight, though. Any open box/refurbished/crazy Easter sale on the horizon? I care about image quality (no videophile though, 720p is fine), and Freeview is a must.

Also, what about that MPEG4 decoder thing? Will I need it in the near future to watch channels over Freeview?

Last question: what's the delivery price to Dublin (for a 32'' LCD, that is)? The website says 59.95 pounds, but I think I've seen some people on boards.ie paying only 20 pounds... Shed some light, will ya?

Please help me out with a good price here!

Cheers,

--
    Flavio

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Hi John, RS Team,

Parents looking for a new TV, max budget €350, I am told.

So its looks like the 32" LG3000 mentioned here or I also seen the Sharp LC32D44SE for £299.95.

Can you get the Sharp ? Or do you have anything else in their price range?

Also, do you have the Hitachi UT32MH70 for £249.95 as listed in this weeks VIP offer.

Let me know whats in stock or can be got, or of any Easter specials ;) ?

Thanks,
    Eddie

Hi John,

Also let me know on the availability of the Samsung LE32B450, I see its listed at £349.95 this week.

Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie,
    apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

The 32LG3000 is available (but stock is tight) at £319.95 and it's a cracking TV!

The Sharp LC32D44 is now a finished line and that £299.95 price is for the last of the demo stocks only (I have one left if you are interested??)

The Hitachi is also available at £249.95, however again stocks are tight and please note that this is a screen/Monitor only and the unit has no tuners on board and limited connectivity (it does look sexy though!)

The LE32B450 has now gone back to £359.95 and we are out of stock at present (with a bit of a waiting list!).

The above sets are for in-store collection only - so please drop me a line if you are travelling and I'll make sure that there is a unit reserved for you.

Thanks again for the post and please drop me a line if I can assist in any way

ATB,

John Mc
    eddiem74 wrote: »
    Hi John, RS Team,

Parents looking for a new TV, max budget €350, I am told.

So its looks like the 32" LG3000 mentioned here or I also seen the Sharp LC32D44SE for £299.95.

Can you get the Sharp ? Or do you have anything else in their price range?

Also, do you have the Hitachi UT32MH70 for £249.95 as listed in this weeks VIP offer.

Let me know whats in stock or can be got, or of any Easter specials ;) ?

Thanks,
    Eddie

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John, no delivery will be an issue, as my parents only just about manage to make it to Newry. :)

On the LE32B450, it was listed as a special offer at £349.95 in the RS VIP Email I got today valid from April 16th through 22nd. Is that just for RS UK ?

Who would win between the LG & Samsung ? Samsung I am assuming? Also when do you expect delivery?

Eddie,
    apologies - I forgot about the VIP!

The 23B450 is due in-store in limited qtys on Tuesday 28th (provisionally.)

Drop me a line if you would like me to reserve one

ATB,

John Mc

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Thanks John, no delivery will be an issue, as my parents only just about manage to make it to Newry. :)

On the LE32B450, it was listed as a special offer at £349.95 in the RS VIP Email I got today valid from April 16th through 22nd. Is that just for RS UK ?

Who would win between the LG & Sasmung ? Samsung I am assuming? Also when do you expect delivery?

• Advertisement

Hi John,

I'm back this time to get myself sorted with a 32" for my daugthers bedroom.

I want to spend less than €400 including wall mount.

Let me know what you have in stock (or coming into stock) which can be delivered around mid-June as she will be away for 2 weeks, and I plan to set-up/install it then.

Thanks,
    Eddie

Hi Eddie, thanks for the post and apologies for thye delay in getting back to you!

€400 for the Daughters bedroom - what recession?

The best deal we have at the moment is still probably the 32LG3000 which unfortunately is about to go up to £349.95 but is still a cracking set at that money - we would just about squeeeze a bracket around the €400 mark as well - however the 32LG3000 is scarce at the moment so if you want one drop me an email and I'll pop you on the list (no obligation as ever of course!)

If you wanted to splash out a REALLY spoil her I could offer you a 32PFL5404H Philips which is a brand new model, normally retails at £550 - I could sneak one of those out for you at Euro €450 delivered AND it has MPEG4 onboard already for the Irish digi service? http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl5404h_12/32pfl5404h_12_pss_aen.pdf

Apologies again for the delay in the reply! drop me a mail to john mc@richersounds.ie if I can help in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

Thanks John.

However unfortunately I am after finding the Samsung LE32B450 knocking around in the south for €399 as a bank holiday weekend special, so decided to pick one up.

It was a very rare local electrical purchase for me but I think its a good set, and was a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Monkee101

johnmc wrote: »
    If you wanted to splash out a REALLY spoil her I could offer you a 32PFL5404H Philips which is a brand new model, normally retails at £550 - I could sneak one of those out for you at Euro €450 delivered AND it has MPEG4 onboard already for the Irish digi service? http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl5404h_12/32pfl5404h_12_pss_aen.pdf

John Mc

hi John,
    Whats the best price for this Philips with the 5 year warranty and shipping to dublin?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.