Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Variance

Options
  • 06-04-2009 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi,

Right we all know that IPOKER is rigged but can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Ive played 70k of hands at .25/.50. I am down 12 buy ins on EV adjusted.

How big a smaple size does variance sort to even out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

FullOf..IT wrote: »
    Hi,

Right we all know that IPOKER is rigged but can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Ive played 70k of hands at .25/.50. I am down 12 buy ins on EV adjusted.

How big a smaple size does variance sort to even out?

It never really "evens out". It is possible that you are just running bad over the past 70k hands, but variance at 50nl is not usually that rough if you are playing straight forward TAG. Are you reviewing your play? What are your stats?

70k hands is still a some what small sample believe it or not. CTS was one of the most successful mid stakes players ever and he had a break even stretch of 200k hands when he was at mid stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

12 buyins....lol...thats like pocket change......I'm 100 bi below EV this year over about 120k hands. I don't think anyone realises how long it can take to even out. I literally cant win a hand this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

zuutroy wrote: »
    12 buyins....lol...thats like pocket change......I'm 100 bi below EV this year over about 120k hands. I don't think anyone realises how long it can take to even out. I literally cant win a hand this year.
    Graph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

So you expect to run above EV simply because you ran below EV in the past? Flip 10 coins in a row, all heads. What is the probability the 11th is a tail? Your expected value from now until infinity is 0 above or below EV.

Rb wrote: »
    Graph?

I deleted a **** load of hands from my HM DB. Let me see if they're still archived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

plough on through imo, all-in ev isn't everything.. you are likely running much better/worse than those graphs represent, you will never know..

[nicK] wrote: »
    plough on through imo, all-in ev isn't everything.. you are likely running much better/worse than those graphs represent, you will never know..

worse imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Please, no more hands or graphs Zuutroy. I'm depressed enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Yeah those all in ev graphs are very over-rated and people put way too much stock in them imo.
    I posted one a few months back where it looked like I ran terribly but I barely even noticed it. The problem can be if you let it affect your mindset and you think you are always unlucky or some such rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

**** variance imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

**** variance imo

I can write a book on this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Not only should you not even care how well you are or aren't running, all in EV doesn't even come close to showing it anyway. You can be many buy ins below EV and still have run above expectation over the same sample size, and the other way around obviously

Advertisement