Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Codecs For Linpus on Aspire One

Options
  • 06-04-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've been searching for a/v codecs to play back my Movies (mp4, avi) but any codecs i install in the codecs folder, as recommended on most sites i've found with the codecs packs, still dont work, i'm getting the same codecs errors..

Has anyone found a solution to this issue, or am i gonna have to install a win os, i'm a new Linux user, so any help would be appreciated guys.

Also, if anyone has some essential apps that i should use for linux i'd like to hear suggestions. As far as i know, Linpus is similar to Fedora 7 and uses yum (i could be talking out me @rse here but i'm trying to give some helpful info)

Cheers
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Paddy_man wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I've been searching for a/v codecs to play back my Movies (mp4, avi) but any codecs i install in the codecs folder, as recommended on most sites i've found with the codecs packs, still dont work, i'm getting the same codecs errors..

Has anyone found a solution to this issue, or am i gonna have to install a win os, i'm a new Linux user, so any help would be appreciated guys.

Also, if anyone has some essential apps that i should use for linux i'd like to hear suggestions. As far as i know, Linpus is similar to Fedora 7 and uses yum (i could be talking out me @rse here but i'm trying to give some helpful info)

Cheers
    P

Have you tired VLC? That will play alot of things.

If you want to try it you can find instructions (and a few other things on that blog for the aspire one) http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/11/installing-vlc-09-on-aspire-one-linux.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Linpus?? I've never heard of it, and I thought I'd heard of them all! Could it be a version of Linux for lovers of Bagpuss? :D (Don't rule that one out!)

OK a quick Google reveals Linpus was originally developed as a Chinese language version of Linux. Yeah sounds dead handy for Western Europe, were lots of people are fluent Mandarin speakers........ :rolleyes:

I suggest you get that bad a$$ OS off your laptop and replace it with something decent like Linux Mint, PC Linux OS or Ubuntu. If you want "out of the box" multimedia codecs ready to play, then Mint and PC LOS would be ideal. You'll find them all at Distrowatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Mantel wrote: »
    Have you tired VLC? That will play alot of things.

If you want to try it you can find instructions (and a few other things on that blog for the aspire one) http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/11/installing-vlc-09-on-aspire-one-linux.html

Cheers for the link... Worked a treat, finally able to watch my movies. I knew i could rely on the boardsies to sort this out for me... You guys rock!!!

As for Linpus, its pretty handy actually, light and fast for a netbook and don't worry it's in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yeah, just joking, I'm sure it's probably great. I forgot you're using a netbook anyway. Ubuntu Remix might be ok: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR

Advertisement