Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of internal renovations Meath?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi
    Wondering if people have an idea on costs of some internal re-workings in oldish house. We plan to do qute a lot ourselves. We are based in Meath. I know this can be a bit of a how long is a piece of string but I'm really only talking about the basic structural works, not the decoration, kitchens etc.

Remove two chimney walls (not structural and joists in favourable condition)
    Build new straight stairs where one wall was and fill hole where old one was.
    Remove about 11ft of a 22ft structural wall (making room open plan)
    Change an internal window to a door.
    Add new external door (6ft) where existing 3ft door is.

Rewire house (about 1700sqft) with new fusebox- note walls and floors will be exposed already - also a friend plans to "run" the wire for us if helps.
    Plumb in for new upstairs bathroom and cloakroom wc downstairs (again flooring will be lifted and raised so can run pipes freely underneath)
    Extend length (not width) of opening of 2 windows (about 3ft)

I know a lot depends on the finish and patching up but we plan to llook after kitchen, floor, bathroom suites, tiling, architraving etc ourselves. Also much of the existing house has cladding inside which we plan to redo ourselves with proper insulation behind so plastering work of internal will be limited to a few rooms only. We will also prepare house for builders - remove floors, wall coverings etc.

Any ideas would help us plan - even if it's just cost ideas on individual wall knock-outs etc,
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nannym

Hello,
    Just had my whole house renovated in during the summer last year by a small Dublin Company. Wouldn't wish it on anyone by the way, I hate getting anything done. There was a lot of work to be done which included tiling the floors in every room, (Yes . . . every room even the bedrooms!) Bathroom renovation upstairs, new downstairs toilet, painting, plastering, new fitted kitchen, new gas boiler etc.
    The man I used is from the same estate as me but I must admit I didn't know him, nor did he come recommended by anyone else. He did the entire job in under four weeks and I did add a few bits as it went along which he didn't charge for.
    I had a problem with one of the toilets after Christmas and he had it repaired the day after I called him.
    In all I was more than happy with the job and the price was fair, not cheap or overly expensive. The company is called <SNIP>. They have a showroom in <SNIP> Dublin. I think he may have a web site too, not sure though.
    Hope it works out for you. :)

Mod edit: Read the charter please - no business/firm/company names to be posted. You may send the details by PM if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 c98bf0ca

Hi NANNYM - Can you please PM me details of your renovation work, builder, cost etc? We will be getting similar work done shortly.

Thanks

Advertisement