Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Flop No Drop Rakes in General

Options
  • 06-04-2009 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

Does a no flop no drop rule affect the way you play? Does the rake force more aggression or less?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

When I used to play in California card rooms I played 2/3 a lot and the first thing the dealer would do before dealing the cards is take the blinds in for rake. Now there was a no flop no drop policy so if you took it down preflop the chips were then given to you.

It was an unwritten rule that if it was folded around to the button that they folded to let the blinds take back their chips unless they had a big hand. But still you would get the odd retard open limping on the button and seeing a flop with only their own chips in the pot to be won.

It's hard to compare the effect of the no flop no drop rule because it played like any live game with limpers and people calling with rubbish anyway. If it played like an online game then I think the effect would be people stealing the blinds just as much as before because two things would cancel each other out - on the one hand pots on the flop would be smaller with rake that crippling disinclining aggression , but on the other hand people would be less inclined to defend their blinds because their blinds are being raked anyway thus inclining aggression.

The only other real effect I found besides the button folding to permit the chop was that if you were raising you would want to raise bigger, but that's a function of the severity of the rake and the way it was done rather than the no flop no drop rule per se. I hated that they took the blinds in as rake at the beginning because it made the postflop game play smaller (I like big stupid play).

Advertisement