Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody want make a website for free?

Options
  • 06-04-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I am looking for someone to create the website the Drogheda United Website. I have been touch with one of the directors of the site, and he is looking for a site that he can update the news section and fixture section manually. The only thing that will put most people off is the Funding. There will more than likely be no funding for the project. I am really looking for someone that is football fan that would be enthusiastic about taking on the project; although anybody at all that can help would be great. I know it is a long shot, but just thought I would ask. PM me if interested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Tombstone

thorbarry wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I am looking for someone to create the website the Drogheda United Website. I have been touch with one of the directors of the site, and he is looking for a site that he can update the news section and fixture section manually. The only thing that will put most people off is the Funding. There will more than likely be no funding for the project. I am really looking for someone that is football fan that would be enthusiastic about taking on the project; although anybody at all that can help would be great. I know it is a long shot, but just thought I would ask. PM me if interested

Lol are you on drugs mate....seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

You were discussing a website with someone that you have no way of creating yourself and are looking for someone to do for free?

And also you want some sort of content management so the the site can be updated. Usually people would charge even more for that functionality.

b.t.w. if people start doing reasonable big oranisation websites for free - and somewhat more than just static content... for free - then you might as well go and find another occupation

either learn how to produce, or pay for the pleasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

anybody?

Get a book and do it yourself.

My comment was a bit rude, but thats like me phoning up a plumber and asking him to fit a new boiler for free.

Theres a program you can get in maplin that helps you build a website of your own made easy. Its around 20 30 quid.

• Advertisement

i do understand it is a lot to ask? but the fact is the club has no money, almost went into administration last year... i was thinking perhaps it could suit somebody in college for a project or something, i made a website in college for nothing, as part of a project

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Can I make a Suggestion: Contact the IT dept. of Dundalk IT and see would any students be interested in doing this as part of a IT project. It should be fairly easy to do and if they need to do a project may as well do one that benefits the local community etc.
    best of luck

PS: I'm not affiliated with DIT or any other place for the matter

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

i do understand it is a lot to ask? but the fact is the club has no money, almost went into administration last year... i was thinking perhaps it could suit somebody in college for a project or something, i made a website in college for nothing, as part of a project

You can do it yourself, take a look at open source CMS solutions such as Joomla or Drupal. Just get webhosting supporting PHP & MySQL and configure a CMS solution, definately will be time consuming, but once you get the hang of a CMS solution, there relatively straight forward. A easier option would be building the site around the Wordpress blogging system, which is a robust system with plenty of modifications available to download, a CMS solution will offer more functionality for a website though but there are many websites out there based on wordpress, good luck.
    Also btw, I am designing a website for a sports club, and it is very time consuming, especially the need to teach people how to use the gallery etc... For the scale of such a website to be made for free is a bit much, I've spent a good few hours working on the clubs site

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

I'm aware of the clubs financial problems, but you're offering NOTHING in return. What about a billboard/ad space on the ground for the volunteer? what about season tickets etc. If you genuinely have no budget, you should feel the need to offer something at least.

if you're able to make websites why dont you do it.
    and then try get someone later to add the functionality of adding updates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bellamariee

www.wix.com is brill site easy to use and just need to register domain name cost 74eur and full yr on wix is 99 dollars -just have to put up pics - easy to use espically for first timers and its flash based very straight forward.

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    I'm aware of the clubs financial problems, but you're offering NOTHING in return. What about a billboard/ad space on the ground for the volunteer? what about season tickets etc. If you genuinely have no budget, you should feel the need to offer something at least.

As i stated, i was in touch with a director from the club so i am not in a position to offer anything for this project, if someone was interested i could put them in touch with him, and i am sure they could come to some compromise

Can I make a Suggestion: Contact the IT dept. of Dundalk IT and see would any students be interested in doing this as part of a IT project. It should be fairly easy to do and if they need to do a project may as well do one that benefits the local community etc.
    best of luck

PS: I'm not affiliated with DIT or any other place for the matter

thats a good idea actually.. thanks for the replies everyone..

I cant make it myself, i simply dont have the time, i work fulltime and have other commitments

have you permission from the director to ask on boards? Just bluntly asking for a free website for such a large organisation (no matter what their finances are like) with no form of compensation is disgraceful and reflects very badly on Drogheda Unitded imo.

have you permission from the director to ask on boards? Just bluntly asking for a free website for such a large organisation (no matter what their finances are like) with no form of compensation is disgraceful and reflects very badly on Drogheda Unitded imo.

" Anybody want make a website for free?" is my question, i am lookin for people that can help me on the matter, and arrange something with them. If you dont want to do it, dont reply

and this is the 3rd time you've posted on boards after 2 locks to the thread. Maybe you should stop these threads...

and this is the 3rd time you've posted on boards after 2 locks to the thread. Maybe you should stop these threads...

yes it is my 3rd time, i tried twice before in the wrong section, the moderator of that forum was happy to point me in the right direction when i seen a thread for " Anyone willing to design company logo for free?" in this forum

Why dont you give the fella a break Pixel its not for you to say weather he can or cant. Maybe you should stick to CI mate. :rolleyes:

Why are some designers such pricks???

The best advice is what the other guys said thorbarry try the local colleges its your best bet.

Hope this helps!

yes it is my 3rd time, i tried twice before in the wrong section, the moderator of that forum was happy to point me in the right direction when i seen a thread for " Anyone willing to design company logo for free?" in this forum

people asking for work done for free tends to be laughed at, from what i've seen.

especially when the job isn't as easy as its made out to be.

also, if by colleges you mean 3rd level, then IT projects would have been decided on back in september/october.
    They would be having their final assesments now.

Maybe other courses might be more suited. Eg FAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

What reaction did you expect!? Especially after reading that thread.

Nobody wants to design your site for free.... Why don't you and your footie chums make a pot, and put a few quid into it. Then you could offer the designer (or student designer should I say) at least something.

• Advertisement

Baggio... wrote: »

Nobody wants to design your site for free.... Why don't you and your footie chums make a pot, and put a few quid into it. Then you could offer the designer (or student designer should I say) at least something.

Yeah thats a good idea I also dont think it would be very fair to not giv tghe student anything. That would be just mean!

Baggio... wrote: »

not a bad idea... look i will have a chat with the guy that wants the site and see what he is willing to do, thanks for the suggestions

College/University students don't just spend their entire project time doing programming/website.

There is lot more paper work & research before actually doing anything.
    And a website with a bit of dynamic content isn't going to get a student a very good grade.

Dumping it on a student at 3rd level isn't really an option.
    You might get one at a very low rate if you paid them.

Advertisement