Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

treating pine for exterior use

Options
  • 06-04-2009 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I've just built a bench for exterior use out of reclaimed, untreated yellow pine. I'm not sure what products I should use to treat and paint (white) the timber in order to protect it from the elements. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

CG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Coat it with protim, a couple of clear coats perhaps, then you can paint it with your average oil base paint, ie undercoat and gloss (or matt, or satin, depending on what you want). The Protim will protect against rot, woodworm, fungus etc, so it should do the job. The stuff is pretty smelly though, so be warned! :p

Any pics? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

Coat it with protim, a couple of clear coats perhaps, then you can paint it with your average oil base paint, ie undercoat and gloss (or matt, or satin, depending on what you want). The Protim will protect against rot, woodworm, fungus etc, so it should do the job. The stuff is pretty smelly though, so be warned! :p

Any pics? :)

also speaking from experience WEAR GLOVES!!!!!!!! that stuff just doesnt come off.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

Great stuff, guys! That's all really useful info. When we get the bench finished off, I'll post before and after pics for you!

CG

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yep, Protim is the answer, but being Yellow Pine, it will still get stained badly outdoors, consider staining it as well.

Hi experts! Our first carpentry project turned out better than we could have imagined. Thanks for the tip on the Protim - hopefully it will keep this garden bench in good shape for years to come...

A picture is at: http://greendiy.ie/wiki/projects/gardening/garden_furniture

It's made from the ends of an old chair we chopped in half, some planks of old skirting board for the back, and a few slats from our local lumber yard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thats a pretty damn nice garden bench!! :eek: Well done, and to think it was made from recycled material!

Wow thanks! My husband is so chuffed by your reaction - it was his first ever carpentry project and a completely mad idea on my part to turn the arms from an old chair into a bench... Neither of us thought it would work out, but now that it looks so nice, I'm glad we took your advice and used that Protim so that it will actually stand the test of time.

CG

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Excellent, good work.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

It looks great climategirl,the use of the chair for the sides is an excellent idea:D ,thats a cool website too,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

That looks fantastic. I'll have to raid my gran's shed and see if she has anything like that lying around and see if it can be salvaged. Presuming the Cat hasn't claimed it!! ( yes the capitalisation was intentional :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement