Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing family roots

Options
  • 05-04-2009 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hello All,

Im trying to trace back my family history and put together some form of family tree, problem being that I dont quite know where to get started! I have found the 1901 census but I dont know how to fill gaps before and after this, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hi Shane,

I would suggest that the first thing you do is talk to your parents/grandparents and get as much detail from them as possible.

Eg: full names of grandparents, siblings, dates of birth and death. If people know the names of great-grandparents, all the better. Addresses of where people lived will be very helpful for the census.

Depending on your own age and location, you might find the 1911 census on the National Archives website useful. They only have 4 counties (Dublin, Kerry, Antrim & Down) at the moment but more are coming. You'll either be looking for grandparents or great-grandparents. If you are in a different county, then your county library is a good starting place. They will have the census for 1911/1901 for right county. From there, there's a lot of different ways to approach research.

Familysearch run by the Mormons has indexed all the births, deaths and marriages for Ireland from its inception to 1958. The site takes a little getting used to but is an excellent resource. It will show the index number for ordering a cert from the General Register Office but I don't recommend you start ordering without being reasonably sure you have the right person. If you are doing a search it's best to put in a name and a county and do a range of years for all events (births, deaths, marriages) and then narrow it down. The registration district that comes up will not necessarily match a town so that's why you widen it to county.

EG:
    "John Burke" Co. Wicklow 1900 - 1920 will yield better results than John Burke, Tinahely marriage 1915. When you have the list, across the top of the page, you'll see categories that can narrow down the list like first name, place, event.

www.nationalarchives.ie
    www.pilot.familysearch.org

If you like, talk to your family and then post back the sort of information you've gotten and I'll point you in the further right direction.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

www.pilot.familysearch.org is down !

EDIT : My fault. needed to remove the www part

Advertisement