Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a compatable usb wireless dongle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Have you tried using ndiswrapper?

Check this link out:

http://opensource.bureau-cornavin.com/belkin/index.html

wireless wise, there is only a very small number of adatpers which are incompatible with linux.

Ndiswrapper rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

syklops wrote: »
    Have you tried using ndiswrapper?

Check this link out:

http://opensource.bureau-cornavin.com/belkin/index.html

wireless wise, there is only a very small number of adatpers which are incompatible with linux.

Ndiswrapper rocks.
    hmm havent tried these "linux drivers" actually might give it a go, forgot my bloody linux password
    might need a more step by step guide though

Although I Have got ndiswrapper etc........ .inf and another files then when I ran with it it didnt work...........then it got very difficult......so I gave up:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I had a belkin usb dongle, turns out there are FIVE different chipsets so it's pot luck :eek:

eventually got drivers for it and then it wasn't reliable would detect AP's just would not connect

I had a belkin usb dongle, turns out there are FIVE different chipsets so it's pot luck :eek:

eventually got drivers for it and then it wasn't reliable would detect AP's just would not connect

what are people using now?

I have the f5d7051, not supported just googled it and a lot of people are having problems with that chipset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

woop wrote: »
    I have the f5d7051, not supported just googled it and a lot of people are having problems with that chipset
    That chipset is over 3 years old. I'm stunned it wasn't supported in the latest kernel. But it will work using ndiswrapper: http://javamonks.com/support/linux/belkin_F5D7051.php

@ the others - post the output from lspci to see what chipset it is.

• Advertisement

cheers for the link will give that a go

now I think it might actually work

ok Ive got to the stage where Ive got to move the files using the sudo command

anybody want to elaborate how I do this he just says use sudo to move them
    ?

[EDIT] I have now deciphered how mv command works
    just dont know how exactly to move from cd as thats where the files are
    or indeed to where, Ive put the .inf in desktop with the others by dragging them so if I just move them there it should work like he says
    right?
    also when I ls the place theyre in (desktop) I see them all(the files which Im trying to move)

when I run ndiswrapper -l
    I get invalid file so my guess is that I need the other .dll files etc moved

Im sorry if this makes no sense just trying to learn and would appreciate help
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Ndiswrapper only needs the minimum .inf and .sys files to run the driver.
    Ubuntu 8.10 can use a restricted driver for the Belkin usb you have.
    In 8.10 I also used the following to get my f5d7051 usb dongle to run.
    Generally after I save the folder containing the driver .inf and .sys all I do is open the terminal and cd to the folder
    cd /home/myhome/driverfolder
    ls <-to list the files
    ndiswrapper -i driver.inf <-to install the driver
    ndiswrapper -l <-to list the driver - should show driver present
    ndiswrapper -m <-writes the config for modprobe
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper <- adds the module to the kernel
    Then I reboot
    The network manager picked up the wifi network and away I went.
    Hope this helps you out.

boomslang wrote: »
    Ndiswrapper only needs the minimum .inf and .sys files to run the driver.
    Ubuntu 8.10 can use a restricted driver for the Belkin usb you have.
    In 8.10 I also used the following to get my f5d7051 usb dongle to run.
    Generally after I save the folder containing the driver .inf and .sys all I do is open the terminal and cd to the folder
    cd /home/myhome/driverfolder
    ls <-to list the files
    ndiswrapper -i driver.inf <-to install the driver
    ndiswrapper -l <-to list the driver - should show driver present
    ndiswrapper -m <-writes the config for modprobe
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper <- adds the module to the kernel
    Then I reboot
    The network manager picked up the wifi network and away I went.
    Hope this helps you out.
    cheers thanks a lot
    yes that might work but it doesnt help my problem of not being able to move the .sys and .dll files

[ this is taken from website]
    I have found that the files do not transfer accross, so just move them accross by hand (using sudo in a terminal). The directory listing should be:

because this does not come up
    050D:7051.F.conf bcm43xx.cat f5d7051.dll usb8023k.sys
    1799:7051.F.conf bcmrndis.inf rndismpk.sys

however mine shows
    1799:7051.F.conf bcmrndis.inf
    I want to be able to move the files

I have learnt how to move files
    they do go into the ndiswrapper file aswell but do not show up under ls
    Im using mv Desktop/rndismpk.sys /etc/ndiswrapper

you dont really need the rt2500usb as its for a different chipset, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

I don't understand why you are moving files.
    There is no need to move any files to run ndiswrapper.
    You can call ndiswrapper and point it to any valid driver file anywhere!
    ndiswrapper -i /home/me/download/files/driver/blahblah.inf as lon as ndiswrapper can find a valid .inf and .sys as needed it doesn't matter where they are.
    If you move files about you have to be sure you have the permissions to mv the files from and to the places you are. Baring in mind some things only root has access to and trying to mv anything you don't have permission to mv just won't.
    If you must mv files and are having what appears to be no luck try reading http://www.ss64.com/bash/mv.html this shows how the mv command works. If your still stuck and just need to move the files I suggest using sudo nautilus then find and move the files from/to and close nautilus before proceeding to do anything else. Of course if you really want to learn the commands in Linux I suggest you start here http://www.ss64.com/bash/ after which you should be able to do pretty much anything.

boomslang wrote: »
    I don't understand why you are moving files.
    There is no need to move any files to run ndiswrapper.
    You can call ndiswrapper and point it to any valid driver file anywhere!
    ndiswrapper -i /home/me/download/files/driver/blahblah.inf as lon as ndiswrapper can find a valid .inf and .sys as needed it doesn't matter where they are.
    If you move files about you have to be sure you have the permissions to mv the files from and to the places you are. Baring in mind some things only root has access to and trying to mv anything you don't have permission to mv just won't.
    If you must mv files and are having what appears to be no luck try reading http://www.ss64.com/bash/mv.html this shows how the mv command works. If your still stuck and just need to move the files I suggest using sudo nautilus then find and move the files from/to and close nautilus before proceeding to do anything else. Of course if you really want to learn the commands in Linux I suggest you start here http://www.ss64.com/bash/ after which you should be able to do pretty much anything.
    I am now online thanks for the help

I do not know why I had to move them only that it didnt work before and it does now

• Advertisement
Advertisement