Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kalamata Olives, Haloumi Cheese

Options
  • 05-04-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, anyone know where the above can be bought in Dublin or Galway? I know the cheese is sometimes available in Tesco but it's a bit hit and miss so anywhere that it is available regularly and is good quality would be great. The olives seem to make cameo appearances in various places and then they are gone...damn them!

Thanks.

Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

You can get the olives in Marks and Spencer. They're always available there but as with everything from M&S, are a bit pricey....
    Not sure about the cheese although again, would be worth checking in Marks, they often have a selection you don't find everywhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

I've gotten Haloumi in Lidl quite often - its not something I buy every week, so not sure how regularly they stock it, but any time I've looked for it, it's been there.

my OH's family are olive farmers in Turkey - they are genuinely organic, excellent quality olives. I keep telling him to start importing them to Ireland - but alas he won't listen! Oh what we would give for good quality affordable olives????? When we lived in turkey we would go through about 2 kilos of olives A WEEK! now a jar of black olives is a treat - no more munching them with brekkie anymore :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Moved to food and drink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Fallon & Byrne will definitely have the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They usually have halloumi in Dunnes, well the one at Cornelscourt anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Arcee wrote: »
    Not sure about the cheese although again, would be worth checking in Marks, they often have a selection you don't find everywhere...

The Haloumi cheese is M&S is a bit vile. Tasteless and oily. Most health food shops will stock it, certainly Avoca do and some Dunnes. Get a really good Sweet Chili sauce to drip on it. De-lish.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Fresh foodmarket on Camden Street have the cheese, not sure about the other branches. Never had it by the way - how do you present it - chargrilled with sweet chili sauce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Kalamata olives are everywhere. I know this because I hate them and I'm always looking for the other black sort. Superquinn have them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

faigs wrote: »
    Fresh foodmarket on Camden Street have the cheese, not sure about the other branches. Never had it by the way - how do you present it - chargrilled with sweet chili sauce?

Yep chargrilled is good with whatever accompaniement. My ex who is Syrian, used to sprinkle it with zatar (thyme, roasted wheat, spices, sunflower oil, roasted sesame, salt) probably not available in Ireland unless some Middle Eastern or Eastern European shop has it. You can also dip meditteranean flat bread in good olive oil and then dip in zatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Thanks for all the replies...
    faigs wrote: »

I had it recently roasted in the oven with cherry tomatoes and black pepper, very simple and very VERY tasty!

Head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

luap_42 wrote: »
    Yep chargrilled is good with whatever accompaniement. My ex who is Syrian, used to sprinkle it with zatar (thyme, roasted wheat, spices, sunflower oil, roasted sesame, salt) probably not available in Ireland unless some Middle Eastern or Eastern European shop has it. You can also dip meditteranean flat bread in good olive oil and then dip in zatar.
    Zatar/Zaatar is great, even just for adding to various foods. You can get it in the Oriental Market up by Hogans pub in Dublin, if that's still there. Otherwise only in arabic shops usually. In the UAE they put it on a large pitta bread (the nice floppy doughy stuff) with oil as a mix and warm it up then roll it up into a wrap. It's called Manaeesh or Man'eesh, not sure of the spelling.

Advertisement