Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table Selection 101: Fish Finding

Options
  • 05-04-2009 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

So, I noticed there were a couple of threads wondering about optimal table selection on the major sites, here's my 2c. :)

1. Start your own tables. This is pretty undervalued generally, but think about it....recreational player arrives home from work, tired and just wanting to gamble...is he going to sit on a waitlist for 5-10 minutes? Not a chance. Be there when he wants to play. :cool:

2.Use buddylists religiously. I regularly see tables with 6 15/12's or 21/18's battling it out....WHY?!?!?!?!?!? These people are throughly ignoring just 'where the money comes from' at the table, I'll give you a clue, it's not generally from the nit (at low stakes). Keep a record of people who has went off for a few buyins, have tilt problems or just play incredi-bad, it'll massively increase your earn.

3. Use mined hands. ********************************************************************OK SWEET ELECTRICAL JESUS, DELETING THIS SENTENCE SO MORANS WITH READING COMPREHENSION ISSUES DON'T GET KNICKERS IN A TWIST*********************

Basically, use the tools that everyone else is using, with no problems at all. I'd be more wary of leaving 18 tables open myself to gather hands though. If not, you are the only one suffering here. For the morans, TOS is not law, they are rules we agree to abide to, an ethical code of conduct which punishes breaches in terms of account suspension. The ethics and reasons behind such TOS were not debated or agreed upon by poker players, rather by the sites, whose main goal ***Is to keep you all playing, generating rake, as long as possible*** so it is not an ethical decision, it's a business decision, think about it.

Right now I'm using <snip>, pretty straightforward site, accept stars xfers etc and no problems compared to the last one. It's essentially the difference in night and day if you're a stats guy. Generally have hands on all players at the table at any given time and often a huge sample on regulars. This can be further used to search for losing players within your DB, making 2) a lot easier to fully accomplish.

4. Just be aware that the lobby stats (VPIP%, PRF%, Av.Pl/Flop etc are not always the most accurate. I relied on these for the longest time, but when you compare it to the accurate data from HEM, it's often completely lagged. Ie, you see a juicy 45/11 type table, sit in and wonder 5 mins later why every ones being so nitty....Well, obv you weren't the only one to spot this 'goldmine' and the stats left over from a brief HU sparring match have now encouraged fellow regs. This happens a bunch, don't waste your time. :rolleyes:

This is all I can think of RE: TS right now, I've a bunch more thoughts I want to put out there about this as it relates to 'Seat selection' but want to see how you guys like/dislike this first. :D

GL at the tables Boyos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

so you're a cheat? I hope you die, or at least get banned from the sites you cheat on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RevealPoker

What??

Maybe you should take a few seconds to consider what I said...

'Some sites' do not allow you to datamine, an example of this would be Pokerstars. It's explicitly against their TOS and I have no interest in breaking those TOS.

Other sites either do not have a view on it, or discourage using a 'server side' DB, this would include software like SpadeEye etc or something like sharkscope, possibly.

What I am talking about is hands that you have collected at the table, or those which have been sent to you. These are stored locally on your computer and do not break any rules. All the information they give you could be collected while at the table, so no unfair advantage is gained whatsoever. It's just a time saving commodity.

/Rant :cool:

What I am talking about is hands that you have collected at the table, or those which have been sent to you. These are stored locally on your computer and do not break any rules. All the information they give you could be collected while at the table, so no unfair advantage is gained whatsoever. It's just a time saving commodity.
    PokerStars prohibits those External Player Assistance Programs ("EPA Programs") which are designed to provide an "Unfair Advantage" to players. PokerStars defines "External" to mean computer software (other than the Software), and non-software-based databases or profiles (e.g. web sites and subscription services). PokerStars defines an "Unfair Advantage" as any instance in which a User accesses or compiles information on other players beyond that which the User has personally observed through the User's own game play.

So you are getting 500,000 Pokerstars hands a week from <snip>. These aren't hands you have personally observed through your own play and this is against the rules. And you know this, or you wouldn't have written in your first post "These are somewhat dubious afaik in terms of some sites Terms & Conditions".

Conclusion: you're a cheat and should die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

RoundTower wrote: »
    So you are getting 500,000 Pokerstars hands a week from handhq.com. These aren't hands you have personally observed through your own play and this is against the rules. And you know this, or you wouldn't have written in your first post "These are somewhat dubious afaik in terms of some sites Terms & Conditions".

Conclusion: you're a cheat and should die.

Worse than that he's a shill IMO

Whatever.....

There's a reason that this board is so fishy and you sir, are part of that reason. I tried to make a useful introductory post, and would love to contribute more fully here given that I am from Ireland. I love 2p2 and regularly contribute to the strat forums, even though it lacks the feel that could be generated here.

However, as usual, people like you are happy to be a big fish in a small pond, pun very much intended.

If you want to pick out one point and make a hugely overblown deal of it, fine. I think anyone with half a brain is aware that it stems from the bitter realisation that you just can't compete away from the kitchen and penny tables.

A very welcoming presence on the boards indeed....

• Advertisement

Worse than that he's a shill IMO

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one because it doesn't look like he copy-pasted this on multiple forums and there's no affiliate link, but it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Whatever.....

There's a reason that this board is so fishy and you sir, are part of that reason. I tried to make a useful introductory post, and would love to contribute more fully here given that I am from Ireland. I love 2p2 and regularly contribute to the strat forums, even though it lacks the feel that could be generated here.

However, as usual, people like you are happy to be a big fish in a small pond, pun very much intended.

If you want to pick out one point and make a hugely overblown deal of it, fine. I think anyone with half a brain is aware that it stems from the bitter realisation that you just can't compete away from the kitchen and penny tables.

A very welcoming presence on the boards indeed....

I think you've just misunderstood the "culture" here on boards. We usually prefer to people to reach several hundred posts and be a "part of the community" before they are let away with pimping their websites.

Edit: Meh... maybe I'm wrong...

...maybe

brianmc wrote: »
    I think you've just misunderstood the "culture" here on boards. We usually prefer to people to reach several hundred posts and be a "part of the community" before they are let away with pimping their websites.

Edit: Meh... maybe I'm wrong...

...maybe

Fine, I understand and appreciate this, believe me. I'm just sickened at being jumped on immediately. Really pisses me off how these forums work and you are alienating people who could make a decent contribution beyond rickrolls and 'Lol', '+1' type posts.

I admit I don't spend v much time here at all, but I prob know quite a few posters IRL. If anyone needs details of this or wants my 2p2 name, feel free to PM.

Edit: Obv just vented there rather than addressing your point. Ok, normally I'd agree that to be accepted and trusted takes a cpl hundred posts for ppl to realise you're not some random donk/noob/'shill' but tbh, if anyone has posted in uNL on 2p2 in the past year, you'd remember P1zzaMan (or something similar) who came on and made a whirlwind impact within about a week, guy's a legend and changed my fews on newbies entirely. Obv not everyone has this experience. No harm intended

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Are people spelling "morons" incorrectly for ****s and giggles these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Fine, I understand and appreciate this, believe me. I'm just sickened at being jumped on immediately. Really pisses me off how these forums work and you are alienating people who could make a decent contribution beyond rickrolls and 'Lol', '+1' type posts.

I admit I don't spend v much time here at all, but I prob know quite a few posters IRL. If anyone needs details of this or wants my 2p2 name, feel free to PM.

Edit: Obv just vented there rather than addressing your point. Ok, normally I'd agree that to be accepted and trusted takes a cpl hundred posts for ppl to realise you're not some random donk/noob/'shill' but tbh, if anyone has posted in uNL on 2p2 in the past year, you'd remember P1zzaMan (or something similar) who came on and made a whirlwind impact within about a week, guy's a legend and changed my fews on newbies entirely. Obv not everyone has this experience. No harm intended

Odd. I was expecting this post to say that you're not affiliated with the site?

• Advertisement

I use the site often. It's been extremely helpful to me in my play, but no, I don't care where you go to get hands... it's just the one i've had least probs with :S

Afaik there are at least 5 similar sites?

AdMMM: Yes, yes we are ;)

Dramabomb aside for a moment, any thoughts about the rest? Plenty more to discuss with this imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stavstavstav

Why is anyone listening to this n00bs table selection advise? He only has seven posts for gods sake! :rolleyes:

Lock this thread pls, I think there's a good chance he's just trolling anyway

Lol
    Last 15,000 50nl HU = 15bb/100
    Prev two months at 50nl = 6bb/100 , 25nl 20bb/100 ........

So I'm not DaEvils, but I'm sure I could generate some kind of table selection post :P

(In before screenshots or this is all lies)

Also, just noticed my 41bb/100 winrate at 0.01/0.02.......sick brag lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

kevinmoran.jpg

Why is anyone listening to this n00bs table selection advise? He only has seven posts for gods sake! :rolleyes:

Lock this thread pls, I think there's a good chance he's just trolling anyway

see I don't like this attitude either, I wouldn't ignore his advice just because he's a noob.

However I do think it's less valuable because he's an admitted cheat on PokerStars. He's deleted some of his OP so it's less obvious, but he has basically being saying "other people cheat, if you want to be successful you have to do the same". He hasn't admitted multi-accounting or colluding but it's clear that he would do it if he thought it gave him an edge and he wouldn't be caught.

Also, he seems like a bit of a dick.

Lol
    Last 15,000 50nl HU = 15bb/100
    Prev two months at 50nl = 6bb/100 , 25nl 20bb/100 ........
    I think anyone with half a brain is aware that it stems from the bitter realisation that you just can't compete away from the kitchen and penny tables.

wait hang on lol.

You (a cheat) are playing 25nl, but I (not a cheat) am stuck on the "kitchen and penny tables."

DBC??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,541 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    In before lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement