Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone on O2 prepay, anyone have it?

Options
  • 05-04-2009 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hey guys sorry if this has already been answered, had a quick look around and couldn’t find any posts so here I am.

Ok so I'm thinking about getting an iPhone 3G but have absolutely no intention of singing an 18 month contract so I'd like to go prepay. I'm currently with Meteor on bill pay and its fine but my phone's starting to die and my contract is nearly up (how convenient!).

What I want to know is, having no understanding of kb, mb or gb and how much web browsing, read YouTube browsing, uses, are O2's pre pay iPhone tariffs any good or insanely expensive?

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/myconnect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone+3G/Speak+easy/

P.S. how do you make links look like this instead of that mad long line!??

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Hey,
    First of all, it includes 12 months bitbuzz wifi access, not bad if your out and about. I have the 8GB with o2, its a classy phone, but watchin youtube will soon drain your allowance of mb

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭CivilEx

OP the O2 tariffs are 99c for 50MB per day with the average iPhone user reporting usage of about 300MB per month. So on average this works out at 10MB per day. Now, everything about the iPhone is data usage, so unless you are very disciplined, you will find yourself triggering the 99c per day charge.

This works whereby the first small amount of data is charged at a high rate to get you to the 99c amount, and thereafter it's "free" up to the 50MB level. Usage above that level again incurs charges. So if you were going to be interested in YouTube or other streaming applications, you would use up your 50MB "allowance" in the first 30mins of the day!

If you were to use the iPhone data plan every day for e-mail etc, Maps, Internet, then your monthly costs are going to be €25 - €30 before you make a call. This compares with your billpay customer who typically pays €10 per month for the data.

Bottom line is that prepay is an expensive way to use an iphone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Ok why can't everyone explain it as easy as that!! Thanks a mil.

I guess in fairness, since I have pretty good broadband at home and I use it all the time I probably wouldn't actually use the iPhone for my main net browsing.

If I took it fairly handy with data-heavy stuff, would prepay still work out more expensieve in the long run?

I'd just be worried about taking out a contract with a minimum of €40-45 per month and then losing my job or something. Plus my monthly bill with Meteor works out at about €28 a month with so it'd be a bit of a jump :)

Sorry if I'm wrecking anyone's heads!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You could buy the prepay iphone and then move to a cheap billpay tarriff. I'm on O2's clear 50 tarriff where you just get a SIM card from them and a 30-day rolling contract. I pay €15 a month + €7.50 for 250MB of data and I can bugger off with only 30 days notice. You get 50 minutes of calls and 50 texts on that tarriff also. I use Eirtext to send up to 250 more texts for free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Cocolola wrote: »
    Hey guys sorry if this has already been answered, had a quick look around and couldn’t find any posts so here I am.

Ok so I'm thinking about getting an iPhone 3G but have absolutely no intention of singing an 18 month contract so I'd like to go prepay. I'm currently with Meteor on bill pay and its fine but my phone's starting to die and my contract is nearly up (how convenient!).

What I want to know is, having no understanding of kb, mb or gb and how much web browsing, read YouTube browsing, uses, are O2's pre pay iPhone tariffs any good or insanely expensive?

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/myconnect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone+3G/Speak+easy/

P.S. how do you make links look like this instead of that mad long line!??

Thanks for any help.

This isn't related to tariffs, but are you aware that the iphone 3G will more than likely be replaced with a new model in 2 months time? It's an awful lot of money for a soon to be discontinued product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

This isn't related to tariffs, but are you aware that the iphone 3G will more than likely be replaced with a new model in 2 months time? It's an awful lot of money for a soon to be discontinued product.

Thanks but are you trying to say it might be replaced or that it's definately going to be discontinued?? I can't make it out.

And of course they're going to bring out better versions, as with anything else, but if you went through life thinking like that you'd never buy anything no?

So back to some form of topic, do all you iPhone owners recommend bill pay so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Cocolola wrote: »
    Thanks but are you trying to say it might be replaced or that it's definately going to be discontinued?? I can't make it out.

And of course they're going to bring out better versions, as with anything else, but if you went through life thinking like that you'd never buy anything no?

So back to some form of topic, do all you iPhone owners recommend bill pay so?

It'll definitely be replaced, with the expectation that the announcement will come on the 8th June. Ambiguity relates to the release, which should be soon after.

Of course there will alway be better versions coming, but for the sake of 8 weeks I'd wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

Stephen wrote: »
    You could buy the prepay iphone and then move to a cheap billpay tarriff. I'm on O2's clear 50 tarriff where you just get a SIM card from them and a 30-day rolling contract. I pay €15 a month + €7.50 for 250MB of data and I can bugger off with only 30 days notice. You get 50 minutes of calls and 50 texts on that tarriff also. I use Eirtext to send up to 250 more texts for free :)

sorry for bumping this thread, but just had a question; are you strictly limited to operating an iphone on one of the specific iphone tariffs when you first purchase it, or can you choose to have the o2 clear 50 tariff straightaway when you go into the shop to buy it? I will more than likely hold out until the new version is released, but really do not want to be pulled into the 18-month contract... sorry if my question is confusing or one that has been answered before and I haven't realised:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

If you buy it on prepay, you can then just buy an O2 clear SIM and use that. You can also tell them that you've "sold" your iPhone to someone else and switch to another tariff if you buy it on bill pay initially. Not sure how flexible they are in letting you out of the iPhone tariffs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

thank you very much for the reply :) I guess my issue is that the cheapest iphone tariff of 40 euro a month would be outside of my budget, the clear SIM option would suit me a lot better. I doubt an o2 clear SIM inserted into the iphone would automatically cancel the iphone tariff, and I doubt they let people out of the 18 month contracts easily :( :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement