Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

object burning up in the atmosphere at 00:30

Options
  • 05-04-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hey all,

I just saw a huge object burn across the sky in Cork. It came from north-east and moved west. It split in two and burnt very brightly for a few seconds before fading out. I've seen meteorites before but this was much, much bigger. The fact that it split in two suggests it had parts and the it perhaps was a satellite. Also, it possiblly came to ground before burning up entirely. Anyone know what it might have been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

nickcave wrote: »
    Hey all,

I just saw a huge object burn across the sky in Cork. It came from north-east and moved west. It split in two and burnt very brightly for a few seconds before fading out. I've seen meteorites before but this was much, much bigger. The fact that it split in two suggests it had parts and the it perhaps was a satellite. Also, it possiblly came to ground before burning up entirely. Anyone know what it might have been?

I saw it too!! I was just putting my key in the door after arriving home with my Telescope from a Public Observing event in Glendalough. I turned around at just the right time!! :D

Timing matches close enough to mine to be the same object. My watch said 12.35am

However I think you have your compass points mixed up. It was traveling from West to East in the Southern skies not the Northern. Started below the star Denebola in Leo and disappeared about 10-15º under Arcturus.

I thought it split in 3 or 4 with sparks trailing behind all the pieces. An amazing sight to behold.:D Not so sure its a Satellite burning up though. More like a Bolide Fireball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Just heard Gerry Ryan talking about a fireball in the sky.
    Go to www.astronomy.ie and they are looking for people who saw it.

holly1 wrote: »
    Just heard Gerry Ryan talking about a fireball in the sky.
    Go to www.astronomy.ie and they are looking for people who saw it.

Submitted my report much as it pains me to interact with the AI organisation but due to David Moores strangle hold on the media as the medias irish astro goto guy, I guess its AI that will recieve the most reports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Radio reporting the meteor could have landed in Ireland or UK, could be valuable, any ideas where it may have landed? Should i get the metal detector fired up?

Radio reporting the meteor could have landed in Ireland or UK, could be valuable, any ideas where it may have landed? Should i get the metal detector fired up?

Best fire up the submarine while your at it :D

its at the bottom of the irish sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

It was SG-1 protecting our planet from the ravages of the goa'uld. they stopped the invasion but were too late to stop the ship from beginning it's decent to earth. the ship was the fireball that you saw:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

just saw an orange light moving west to east alright. Any idea what it is?

Advertisement