Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Carpet Shop

Options
  • 04-04-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi,
    Currently on a search for best 'bargain' for mid quality carpet, but good underlay. We need it for landing and quite a large bedroom. I think 74 sqm total. Went to Carp*tri*e, best price 1500, went to another well known 'local' shop near Johns Square, and they came in at 2000. At a loss as both just too over budget, but we really want to lay carpet in these areas. Anyone any the wiser, any tips?? And btw we weren't looking at any fancy high priced carpets, but the lower end. Never realised it would cost this much!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Builderfromhell, could you PM any carpet deals to me too? I'm looking to carpet the hall and bedrooms of a new build.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Can't believe your taking advice from a guy with the name Builderfromhell. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Can't believe your taking advice from a guy with the name Builderfromhell. :p

I think he may be on to something good, will let you all know tomorrow:D

Please, Ardscoil, the commision I'm getting is helping feed the kids.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Want to carpet stairs and landing soon enough.....

- Why is there only secret carpet shops on this thread? Anyone care to recommend anything mainstream; like a shop etc?

Raiser wrote: »

- Why is there only secret carpet shops on this thread? Anyone care to recommend anything mainstream; like a shop etc?

Ah we are the 'carpet masons'......i'll send you a PM so you can join our little gang;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Have been inducted into the Limerick Branch of the Carpet Masons.

- Lobster Lady is crap at the secret handshake though - I think its because of her claws.......

Raiser wrote: »

Forum rules don't allow people to mention or recommend specific company. I did recommend some company once before and was advised not to.

I'm known in the carpet circle as The Claw.....arrrrrgggg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 samhain's son

My dealings with carpet right beside tk maxx were awful. I bought lino there for the kitchen and they supplied the fitter. Except that they didn't!! He did a really bad job and when I went back to complain they said that he was a private contractor and had nothing to do with them despite the fact that they sent him out to do the job. I was very disappointed and debated taking the matter further but of course never got around to it, so every time I mop or sweep the floor I feel a bit annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Br7an

Probably a bit late in posting but for future reference check out http://carpetshop.ie/
    they deliver throughout the country and have some great prices.

A lot of these discount carpet places sell good looking cheap Polyproplyne carpet. These carpets wear very quickly, compress where there is foot traffic, burn easily (if you drag furniture across them) and absorb oil based stains which cannot be removed.

Do a google on them before buying from the discount carpet stores.

Trust me, I'm a builder:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Great that this thread was resurrected as only last night we finished the painting of the bedroom and are now ready for some carpets.

If I could join the gang of secret carpets I would be most greatful.
    Pretty please can I have the "secret recommendation".
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I recently purchased a carpet from Fortunes in Shannon for stairs and landing. Is a lovely carpet and cost €225 to include all the bits and underlay. The fitter was €75 extra and he did a great job.

I priced the same carpet in a few other places and they were much more expensive.

If shopping for a carpet, take your measurements and shop around. Don't be afraid to tell the shop you are shopping around. If they really want your business they will do a deal.

And if recommended a fitter ask the shop how long they have been using them for etc. and if he doesn't go a good job what fall back do you have?

I asked those questions and I sat watching him while he did the job and he did a very good detailed job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PashikTT

DBIreland wrote: »
    Builderfromhell, could you PM any carpet deals to me too? I'm looking to carpet the hall and bedrooms of a new build.

Thanks.

Could you pm those deals to me too, please. I am shopping for a week already and i thought that would be an easy job. Not anymore... So many choices. I am just afraid to make a bad one...
    And one more question, what is a better option to polypropylene?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

trading is prohibited on these forums. thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement