Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10K Training Diary

Options
  • 04-04-2009 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

The title of this thread is not very adventurous but is straight to the point....I have managed to get myself roped into the Womens Mini Marathon in Dublin on June 1st which by may calculation is less than 8 weeks away :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am not very fit at all really, I have a treadmill and do use it 4- 5 times a week, I generally run for 2 minutes and walk for 1 minute at 9k and 5.5k respectively.

I purposefully do this on the treadmill because it was for weight loss and some fitness but fitness was not my primary concern

That is all changing now, I am saying 'Good-bye' to my treadmill and saying hello to the outside. I am hitting the road to train for this run/ walk/ crawl to the finish line.

I aim to start slowly and run 4-5 times a week (I think) This week I am going to take it slowly, ease myself in.....I plan to jog/walk 2k each evening and seeing what my time is. I hope that by the end of the 5 runs 1 will have reduced my time a little so that I can see some improvement in myself and will than assess how I have found running 5 days in one week and either keep it up or reduce it

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck, and welcome to the logs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MissMacMacMac

Last night (Monday) I ran 2k in 19.41

Tonight I ran 2k in 19.30- I did not eat great today which I think made me feel a little sick whilst running but I am getting better. I only slowed down 4 times to a fast walk and then made myself run again during the 19 minutes

Another 2k tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done. Looking forward to seeing how you get on;)

Haven't posted on here in a while... I haven't done much training of late. last Thursday I ran 1.5 k before doubling over with a stitch in my side.

I purposefully did not do any exercise over the Holiday weekend and then the rest of this week I have other errands to do in the evening until tonight.....

I ran 2.77k in 24 minutes and I am really happy with myself. I did walk some of it- probably roughly half but I am still pleased my time considering that I did walk some of it. When I did walk I was walking quite slowly so overall I will sleep well tonight :D

And I have really sorted out my eating habits this past week too. I am not really training for weight loss per se as I have the mini-marathon looming but I thought i may as well try and kill two birds with one stone.

In work I have started to take carrot sticks, celery, etc to snack on instead of crisps, etc. I think it is also helping my training as I trying to load up on carbs at lunchtime to give me energy to run later in the evenings.

I am going to run the same route tomorrow evening and see how I find it......

Friday

I ran 3k min 30 minutes exactly. I thought my time was going to be a lot better but I think I walked more than I wanted to - it had been a long week and I was tired.

This morning (sunday) I ran roughly 3.8K in 30 mins- yaaaayyyy I am getting faster ( i am actually just walking less and running more) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I am setting myself the target of running AT LEAST 45 mins before work 3 times this week.........................................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Well done! You're off to a good start. I'm new to this running business myself!
    Keep up the good work :)
    I'll be keeping an eye on you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Friday

I ran 3k min 30 minutes exactly. I thought my time was going to be a lot better but I think I walked more than I wanted to - it had been a long week and I was tired.

This morning (sunday) I ran roughly 3.8K in 30 mins- yaaaayyyy I am getting faster ( i am actually just walking less and running more) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I am setting myself the target of running AT LEAST 45 mins before work 3 times this week.........................................

Well done - I walked 7 miles on saturday and my legs are still really feeling it today!!! Although I'll be back out again this evening!! Running for 30 mins is brill. I can only manage 5 min jogs at the moment!!!

this is the third time i have tried to post this so fingers crossed it works this time.........................

i didnt do very well at keeping this log but i did manage the mini marathon last week in a time of 75 mins -yaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy; i am well happy with that time :)

but can i just say what was with all the walkers in the joggers section for the first km. i am surprised no one was injured and the looks off some of the walkers that i got as i dodged past them -ggrrrrrrrr they looked like they wanted to kill me BUT THEY WERE IN MY WAY AND IN THE WRONG SECTION.

i am considering my next challenge and am tempted by the marathon in october- i think i will make my decision this week..... but will definitely keep the running up regardless

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

but can i just say what was with all the walkers in the joggers section for the first km. i am surprised no one was injured and the looks off some of the walkers that i got as i dodged past them -ggrrrrrrrr they looked like they wanted to kill me BUT THEY WERE IN MY WAY AND IN THE WRONG SECTION.
    This happens at a lot of races, unfortunately. Back in April at the Great Ireland Run there were plenty of walkers starting in a section marked for 45-55 minutes...

Well done on the mini-marathon, 75 minutes means you'll be able to get a "fast jogger" number next year, which means you'll be able to get in front of the walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

congratulations! that's great progress you've been making :)

• Advertisement

cheers for the replies guys:D

so tonight i did 3.6 miles in 50 minutes. My time was crap but to be honest i am just pleased that i got my backside off the chair, it has been a long, long, LONG week at work and really stressful so the run/walk (i walked quite a bit) has really cleared my head

and i am off tomorrow so yippeeeeeee; i am also doing planning on doing a run tomorrow morning, probably the same route so i will see if my time decreases any.

i must get better at keeping this log,
    i must get better at keeping this log, repeat,
    i must get better at keeping this log..........................

i managed a quick run this evening before dinner; 2 miles in 25 minutes, very slow but at least i did it. i am going to try for a 4-5 mile run tomorrow.

i am planning on starting Hal Higdon's novice marathon training on monday. the plan is to do the 5 mile and 10 mile events from the adidas race series over the next few months and then take it from there; i am seriously considering the dcm in october but will see how i manage the 5 mile in 4 weeks

and finally today i prurchased new trainers from a proper running shop. they use something call the gait analysis (i think thats what it is called) and so i have trainers that give me support where i need it -yaaayyyyyyyyy

no excuses now:rolleyes:

two posts in two days- go me

so tonight i ran a different route, i drove to a park near my house, twas great, no cars nearly running me over:rolleyes:

i think i probably covered about 3.5 miles, a mixture of both walking and running in about 45 minutes

i am starting hal higdon's marathon training for a novice on tuesday; tomorrow is a rest day and i think i will need it.......work is going to be crazy busy and stressful:mad:

Tonight was the start of my novice marathon training

i completed 2.67 miles according to Google, i thought it was 3 miles but Google has proved me wrong :mad:

i did it in 37 minutes i think. that was part walking and running.

i seem to run in short spurts so tomorrow night i am going to concentrate less on speed on more on running the whole distance no matter how long it takes

Advertisement