Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help picking a car

Options
  • 04-04-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm kind of new at this, and I don't really know much about car models and what have you. I got my licence about a year ago, and want to get another car, that is either a little more powerful, or a little lighter than my current car, a Nissan Almera (old version) from 2000 (and ideally looks a little nicer). I do some motorway driving, I don't *need* a family car, and I've got about 6000 to spend. As I have my licence for a year, I don't really want to get slaughtered with insurance payments either.

Just looking for some suggestions as to what might be the best models to start looking at, and anything in particular I should be wary of.

Currently I like the look of the Alfa Romeo 156, BMW 318, or the Ford Puma.

Anyway, thanks for your time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

To be honest I'd aim more for a 1.4 to 1.6 to start with - cheaper tax and insurance, though it depends on how much "some" motorway driving is, and at what hour of the day - if your motorway driving mainly consists of the M50 at rush hour, any size engine will do :)

Maybe start off on Carzone and do a search for coupes and cabriolets (as you seem to fancy the "sportier" looks) within your price range to start with, and see if any catch your eye in the photos?

Take a look at http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ as well, just to get a rough idea - for example for the 156 it says:
    Good: Stunning looks, fabulous engines, V6s are lots of fun.
    Bad: Mechanical problems and not as well built as it should be. Tyre wear on V6 models.

Obviously not everyone will agree with everything said there, but I find it's a handy place to start questioning a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Thoie wrote: »
    To be honest I'd aim more for a 1.4 to 1.6 to start with - cheaper tax and insurance, though it depends on how much "some" motorway driving is, and at what hour of the day - if your motorway driving mainly consists of the M50 at rush hour, any size engine will do :)

Maybe start off on Carzone and do a search for coupes and cabriolets (as you seem to fancy the "sportier" looks) within your price range to start with, and see if any catch your eye in the photos?

Take a look at http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ as well, just to get a rough idea - for example for the 156 it says:
    Good: Stunning looks, fabulous engines, V6s are lots of fun.
    Bad: Mechanical problems and not as well built as it should be. Tyre wear on V6 models.

Obviously not everyone will agree with everything said there, but I find it's a handy place to start questioning a car.

Cool, thanks, that's exactly the sort of information I was looking for!

Advertisement