Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 10-10-20 as a lawn feed

Options
  • 04-04-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've been using Evergreen Organic Choice lawn feed but it works out at €23 per application so based upon three applications per year that's €69.

One of my neighbours has just bought a 50kg bag of 10-10-20 for €24 and that will last about five years which equates to less than €5 per year!

I'm trying to avoid using any chemicals on my garden whatsoever in order to encourage wildlife & not pollute. Considering this is 10-10-20 an acceptable alternative?

Also, I've been using a spreader from Lidl for fertiliser etc. similar to this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7200566/Trail/searchtext%3ELAWN+SPREADER.htm but it's not very effective at distributing the granules.

I've seen larger more sophisticated ones - can anyone recommend one and where to buy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

picked one up in the local agricultural co-op shop for €50 Monday last. it is good and graduated, so that you will not overspread.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Anduril

I've heard that with 10-10-20,you'll be cutting your grass 2-3 times a week. Also it boosts everything-weeds included. I use 7-6-17, about E25 a 25kg bag, greens up nicely but weeds are still a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Yorky wrote: »
    I've been using Evergreen Organic Choice lawn feed but it works out at €23 per application so based upon three applications per year that's €69.quote]

if i recall correctly evergreen organic only contains nitrogen, and no phosphorus or potassium which is needed for strong roots and disease resistance...on the other hand 10-10-20 doesn't have enough nitrogen(only 10% vs 14% in evergreen).

something in the range of a 15-5-10 may be more suitable for your lawn.

Advertisement