Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel filter problem

Options
  • 04-04-2009 5:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've just changed the fuel filter in my Opel Vivaro 1.9 CDTi and now the STOP warning light is coming on on the dash when I turn on the ignition. When I start the engine the light goes out. The engine is running okay but she's not starting as smoothly as before the filter change.
    Any advice as to what might be wrong or what I should do to fix the problem would be really appreciated.
    Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Did you purge all the air out of the system after changing the filter??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Row wrote: »
    Did you purge all the air out of the system after changing the filter??
    Thanks for your reply Row.
    No, I didn't. I stupidly tried to start the engine first and when it didn't fire then I cleared the air.
    What damage have I done?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hopefully no damage will be done...not sure how the high pressure
    pumps like air...:confused:

Maybe see how it runs in the next few days.....:)

There was a time with the old idi's diesels you could have opened an injector pipe and bleed it from there.

But don't try this with a Di's as there is 1000 bar pressure in the system,
    very dangerous...:eek:

The air should have purged back to the tank once the engine has run for a
    few minutes.
    Make sure that the filter seals are sealing and not letting air into the system.

Are the diesel filters a sealed unit or a paper type replacment on
    the 1.9 CDTi's??

I'm just worried because the last time I changed a fuel filter - it was a Fiat Scudo - I didn't drain the filter housing and ended up having to change the pressure regulator valve cause water got into the system.
    The fuel filter looks something like this one:
    9110894_2.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

Its always good practice to drain water from the base of your diesel filter,
    thats if there is a drain off point....:rolleyes:
    With that filter type i guess you had to undo the filter cap/lid, remove
    old filter and pop in the new one....:confused:
    How is the van running since??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

I done one just the other day and have another next week.
    Did you replace the seals?
    Is the cap tightened back down properly?
    Are all the pipes connected back up ok?
    There is a hand primer "bulb".After fitting everything back together you need to pump it until it goes hard,open the bleed nipple at the top of the filter until its just diesel coming out and no air.Should be good to go then.Also their is a drain screw at the bottom,open it until there is pure diesel coming out,no water mix.

Thanks again Row,
    The van is now starting and running fine. I suppose it just took a while for the system to clear the air.

Hi Son,
    Yeah, I replaced the seals and tightened the cap properly. I think if I had done a better job of using the hand pump I wouldn't have had any problems. I'll know better next time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Great to see you got it sorted...:)
    without any large repair bill...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Hermy wrote: »
    Thanks again Row,
    The van is now starting and running fine. I suppose it just took a while for the system to clear the air.

Hi Son,
    Yeah, I replaced the seals and tightened the cap properly. I think if I had done a better job of using the hand pump I wouldn't have had any problems. I'll know better next time.

i changed mine recently as well, i filled the filter first wiht diesel, used a syringe actually as it was little space, started first turn. Recommended in haynes for mine, id say urs had air in it, its probably all gone now...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 liam1987

how do you fill the new filter if its a sealed filter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Soak the new filter is all that was needed

Advertisement