Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interference on phone line when connected to Sky Digital...

Options
  • 04-04-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

I have tried searching for threads about this without finding any so apologies if it has been posted before...

For the past year or so, any time I have my Sky system connected to the phoneline, there is interference on the line when I am using the phone. When I disconnect Sky then the problem is solved...

Has anyone else experienced this and come up with a solution? I am hoping that it's not a problem with the cable itself as it's buried underneath the wooden floor and tiling in the sitting room / hall respectively!

Thanks in advance...

Head

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Have you tried pluggin in a phone into the line for the Skybox?

If line isn't affected when the phone is on it, it maybe a dodgy modem in Skybox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

byte wrote: »
    Have you tried pluggin in a phone into the line for the Skybox?

If line isn't affected when the phone is on it, it maybe a dodgy modem in Skybox

I'm not sure I follow...what do ya mean by the "line for the skybox" exactly? The back of the Sky box itself? I'm sorry, my head is melted from college assignments and I'm not at home so I can't even look at the setup. If you could explain in more dteail that would be great thanks...

I am not myself today :o.

Head

byte

Head wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow...what do ya mean by the "line for the skybox" exactly? The back of the Sky box itself? I'm sorry, my head is melted from college assignments and I'm not at home so I can't even look at the setup. If you could explain in more dteail that would be great thanks...

I am not myself today :o.

Head
    What I mean is, the wire you plug into the back of the Skybox - plug that into a phone instead of Skybox, and see if problem is still there. If issue is there when you've a phone plugged into that cable run, then it's the cable that's at fault. Otherwise, it could be the Skybox modem.

Aah! Thanks byte.

H

byte

Aah! Thanks byte.

H
    No probs. Report back your findings.

• Advertisement

Will do in a few days when I get home. WTS...

H

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Buy a dsl filter. Your suppose to have them when you use sky but the installer wont give you one.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have a DSL filter already due to having broadband. Incidentally I have never heard that you need them when you use Sky, not from Sky themselves, installers etc... I was always under the impression that they were a broadband requirement... If it is the case that you need them in order to have Sky then it's news to me...

Head

byte

Is the phone cable for the Skybox going through a DSL filter? If not, it should be.

Ah it is yeah. They are all connected the way they should be...

H

• Advertisement

I havent forgotten about this by the way. I just plugged the sky line in to the phone again to see if problem is still present as its been yonks since its been plugged in... If so ill try above suggestion. Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

Thanks for the suggestion but I have a DSL filter already due to having broadband. Incidentally I have never heard that you need them when you use Sky.
    Every individual appliance requires a filter, including the Digibox, if you have ADSL.
    See http://sam-radford.me.uk/phone.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

I didnt know that you needed a DSL filter for a Sky box:confused:...there was never one put in ours 6 years ago but never had any interference..only with the Broadband I have when using the phone the internet connection cuts off..but fixed that with a new filter previous one was faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

If you don't use a filter it can slow down your broadband connection speed. Even if you fit a filter now, it may still be slower than optimum because the exchange equipment has "learned" the max speed that your line will support.

Lack of filter will not necessarily cause audible interference (but it might). Interference can be caused by a cable staple punched through the actual cable or by incorrect connections, corroded connections, spiders, faulty Sky Digibox...

Advertisement