Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini disc player

Options
  • 04-04-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Not sure if i am posting in the right section but im sure someone can point me in the right direction.
    Basically i have a 4 disc minidisc changer from an imported japanese mitsubishi vehicle and i was wondering how i would go about converting it to work with my home stereo system. It as an 8 pin (din, i think) male and female connection on the back as well as 3 coloured wires (red with blue stripes, yellow with orange stripes and black with brown). I was hoping to do it in such a way that the output from the changer was a (white) left and (red) right stereo connection. Any help on this would be hugely appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Personaly I would buy a MP3 player or an iPod and hook it up to the Radio/Cd player using an Fm transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Try the mp3car forum, they might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Firstly you will need a 12v (13.8v) power source with enough amps to run the unit. There may be a sticker somewhere indicating how many amps it draws.

The black wire is likely the ground/negative wire, the red wire is likely the positive + power wire and the orange wire is likely positive + wire also that keeps the clock running/memory presets working while the main red wire is disconnected, since it would normally be switched through the ignition switch.

Just connect both the red and orange wires to positive + to get it to work.

The big question is whether one of the 8 pin DINs outputs a line level voltage to connect the unit to an amp, because that is what you would want in order to safely connect it to a stereo. If one of the DINs outputs a voltage sufficient to drive speakers directly, you would not want to hook that up to a stereo as you would possibly damge it.

You would need a multimeter to find out what the pins do on the DINs

Personally I would recommend you get an iPod and a dock for it. Connect the dock to the stereo aux inputs and off you go. the FM transmitters deliver poor sound quality.

Advertisement