Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of selling my car

Options
  • 03-04-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Our 1999 car was reversed into a bollard and damage done to the boot floor. I claimed off my insurance company and they sent an accessor to access the damage. It was classed as been a scrapped vehicle as it was beyond economic repair ie the cost of repairing the car was more than the estimated sale value of the car. The car has been repaired in an authorised garage and it has received the aok from the engineer. I am now looking to sell this car. Is there anything I need to make the buyer aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

This thread should be moved to the motors forum.

But afaik you just need to tell a new buyer that it was a write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Agree with last poster, car value regardless of whether damage was fixed is lower than normal value. This should be included in the price and communicated to potential buyer as it will come back to bite you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i always thought once a car has been officially written off by an insurer it was supposed to be taken off the road permanently.

something to do with antifraud claims

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Beyond economic repair just means that cost of repair is more than 60-65% of the value of the car. It does not mean that the car, even in it's damaged state is dangerous to drive. In Ireland we don't have the UK system of rating write-off's on damage, where A and B's should only be broken for spares, where C and D can be repaired. UK requires MOT for a return to the road of an officially written off vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

FrancieD wrote: »
    Our 1999 car was reversed into a bollard and damage done to the boot floor. I claimed off my insurance company and they sent an accessor to access the damage. It was classed as been a scrapped vehicle as it was beyond economic repair ie the cost of repairing the car was more than the estimated sale value of the car. The car has been repaired in an authorised garage and it has received the aok from the engineer. I am now looking to sell this car. Is there anything I need to make the buyer aware of?

I'm confused...:confused:

If the insurance company assessed it as 'scrapped' - I would have thought that when they gave you some sort of cash compensation for the car, the car would have been taken into possession by the insurance company.

Assuming the insurance company paid you the 'estimated sale value of the car' - if you then paid for the car to be fixed yourself, with intention to sell, surely this could be classed as some sort of fraudulent insurance claim? Sounds like dodgy ground to me... and could bite you or your potential buyer in the a$$

Seeing as you reported the car damage and claimed against your insurance, I'm sure that the details of the damage to the car is documented somewhere. So whatever potential buyer you are dealing with, you should come clean on the initial car damage: provide a report on what damage was done and what repairs were done to fix the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

i always thought once a car has been officially written off by an insurer it was supposed to be taken off the road permanently.

Not necessarily. There are various classes of write off. A car that is written off due to being beyond economic repair (category C or category D) can then be fixed and put back on the road with an engineers report. A more serious crash would result in an explicit parts-only or total scrap write off.
    soc wrote: »
    If the insurance company assessed it as 'scrapped' - I would have thought that when they gave you some sort of cash compensation for the car, the car would have been taken into possession by the insurance company.

Assuming the insurance company paid you the 'estimated sale value of the car' - if you then paid for the car to be fixed yourself, with intention to sell, surely this could be classed as some sort of fraudulent insurance claim? Sounds like dodgy ground to me... and could bite you or your potential buyer in the a$$

Seeing as you reported the car damage and claimed against your insurance, I'm sure that the details of the damage to the car is documented somewhere. So whatever potential buyer you are dealing with, you should come clean on the initial car damage: provide a report on what damage was done and what repairs were done to fix the car.
    Typically an insurer will give you the payout minus scrap value and the contact details of a buyer who has offered the scrap value. It's then at the owner's discretion what to do with the scrap.

The write off will be recorded against the vehicle along with it's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Trampas

If you accept the money as a write off is the owner of the car not the insurance company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Trampas wrote: »
    If you accept the money as a write off is the owner of the car not the insurance company?
    As I pointed out above the insurance company cheque will tend to be their valuation *minus* scrap value. You'll then generally end up with a choice between accepting the scrap offer that they've sourced for you (typically low) or doing whatever you want with the remaining scrap, including the option of putting it back on the road if possible.

(I'll add that I've got no clue why this is in 'Rip Off Ireland'. It should definitely be in 'Motors'.)

Advertisement