Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO for beginers ??

Options
  • 03-04-2009 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking into improving google rating and maybe MSN and yahoo too. Any one have an good links to get me off on the right track?

I understand the basics in that the more links you have to your web page the better and if you link to a well thought of site this is better for you.

What about directories? After reading a little about them they seem to be time consuming and is possible that google do not rate from these sites?

Looking for some homework from any good SEO teach please.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

Personally I don't bother with directories but I know people here will tell you they do. Any chance you could post the URL of your site? (and get yourself a nice link from boards.ie in the process)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fergal_d

Ok, here's what you need to do.

On Page SEO

- Get your on page SEO perfect. That means your <h1> - <h4> tags must contain your keywords.

- Have your keywords between 2-4% on your site

- Check your on page SEO here withthis free tool http://www.w3optimizer.com/

Backlinks

You need to generate backlinks to your web site at a rate of no more than 5 per day! Tools that can do that for you are LinkVana (costs $149 per month) or the Free Traffic System (its free)

There is a tutorial on how to use Free Traffic System here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyztWgBd7Wc

And more info here - http://www.squidoo.com/freetrafficsystemreview

and that is all you need to know about SEO ;)
    gar32 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking into improving google rating and maybe MSN and yahoo too. Any one have an good links to get me off on the right track?

I understand the basics in that the more links you have to your web page the better and if you link to a well thought of site this is better for you.

What about directories? After reading a little about them they seem to be time consuming and is possible that google do not rate from these sites?

Looking for some homework from any good SEO teach please.

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Thanks for sharing the tips Fergal.

I scored well on the w3optimiser due to my manual seo efforts and then watched the video. It was really interesting so I left a comment for you.

I think the free traffic system will be very useful and I didnt even know about it until I read your post. Good work and thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 caminowebmaster

gar grab my seo guide - it has been written for seo for irish websites. share it around...http://www.cubeonlinemarketing.ie/cube-seo-guide-for-irish-business/

• Advertisement

fergal_d wrote: »
    Backlinks

You need to generate backlinks to your web site at a rate of no more than 5 per day! Tools that can do that for you are LinkVana (costs $149 per month) or the Free Traffic System (its free)

There is a tutorial on how to use Free Traffic System here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyztWgBd7Wc

And more info here - http://www.squidoo.com/freetrafficsystemreview

and that is all you need to know about SEO ;)

Hi Fergal,

I don't want to be trampleing on your parade, but I think you should make it clear to people looking for beginners advice that this tip is gray hat at best.

I'm not saying at all that this won't work, and I'm sure you've had great results with it, but beginners need to know this does not follow Google Guidelines.

Notnem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Shaneod21

Freetrafficsite is a great site, I would definetly recommend it if your looking for backlinks.

Also it is correct to say that link your site to a similar site to your own will definetly improve your rankings.

However google needs to see these sites as having some type of association.

99% of traffic comes from google so work on google before any of the other search engines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 adrenaline

Hey, on site SEO very, very important:

Depending on the site:

- dynamic title for each page
    - dynamic description for each page ( no more than 200 characters)
    - dynamic keywords for each page
    - short 'articles' describing each page (advanced)
    - alt and title for each image
    - title on each link (doesn't look good but it is worth it)

That should be good for beginning just finished it on www.toprice.ie, you can have a look.

Than give it a time to be well indexed by big G ( could take months, year or two LOL). Check number of pages in webmaster tolls and compare with Google search on site:www.yoursite.xx see what they managed to index.

For link building start with getting a blog, make sure it is dofollow (for wordpress you will need to self hosted). After some time you will be tired of spam reaching your blog and mailbox:)!

After that you are ready to start posting comments. ( not sure if how it will play out in future as big G is warning!)

Start with dofellow.com software. In my opinion it is great tool for white hat SEO.
    You will be required to be patient, make sure you will pick blogs with PR 1 or more to be on the safe side.

Post good comments, relevant to the topic like the one that you wished to receive while deleting hundreds of spammy ones from the blog I advised to set up at first.

Now you are fully trained when it comes to beginner SEO. Remember the site must be worth using it!

One more thing, content, it is easier to SEO site with unique content ie. not from other site (major difficulty for affiliate site)

adrenaline wrote: »
    Hey, on site SEO very, very important:

Depending on the site:

- dynamic title for each page
    - dynamic description for each page ( no more than 200 characters)
    - dynamic keywords for each page
    - short 'articles' describing each page (advanced)
    - alt and title for each image
    - title on each link (doesn't look good but it is worth it)

That should be good for beginning just finished it on www.toprice.ie, you can have a look.

Than give it a time to be well indexed by big G ( could take months, year or two LOL). Check number of pages in webmaster tolls and compare with Google search on site:www.yoursite.xx see what they managed to index.

For link building start with getting a blog, make sure it is dofollow (for wordpress you will need to self hosted). After some time you will be tired of spam reaching your blog and mailbox:)!

After that you are ready to start posting comments. ( not sure if how it will play out in future as big G is warning!)

Start with dofellow.com software. In my opinion it is great tool for white hat SEO.
    You will be required to be patient, make sure you will pick blogs with PR 1 or more to be on the safe side.

Post good comments, relevant to the topic like the one that you wished to receive while deleting hundreds of spammy ones from the blog I advised to set up at first.

Now you are fully trained when it comes to beginner SEO. Remember the site must be worth using it!

One more thing, content, it is easier to SEO site with unique content ie. not from other site (major difficulty for affiliate site)

Eh - I wouldn't pay any attention to this. I presume it is just a way of getting a link on boards.ie - but this is not SEO advice anybody with a site should follow.

Sure, this isn't personal - but I want to clear up the advice you were offering. If you have any questions - I've no problem helping out or pointing people in the right direction.
    Than give it a time to be well indexed by big G ( could take months, year or two LOL).

Should get indexed in a couple of days
    Check number of pages in webmaster tolls and compare with Google search on site:www.yoursite.xx see what they managed to index.

The list of pages in Google Webmaster Tools is the list of pages indexed in Google

Microsites can work well as a strategy (I can send you some examples), but building a site with the sole intention of sending one way links doesn't work. The microsite has to be quality - and built links in its own regard to pass value to the main site.

Also, Wordpress nofollows comments, not the links within posts

Posting comments doesn't work. A long abused method Google abaondoned a long time ago as a metric. Has no value.

Do follow software? Presume this is for auto posting comments on do follow blogs? This is not white hat in any way and is most definitely black hat and a quick way to get your site rubbished in Google.

Pay no attention to PR. I'm a full time SEO and it is years since I looked at PR. It is out of date and rarely updated by Google. In 2003, PR was King, now it is irrelevant. Find sites you think are relevant and valuable and approach them about guest posts. Worth hundres if not thousands of do follow comments.

You are right, unique content is valuable, but writing content just for the sake of it won't give you much benefit. If people want, I can give some info on content usage strategies for maximum effect, but that is beyond the scope of this response :)

• Advertisement

Starting with indexing 1,7 mln pages doesn't take days in my experience.

You won't get all those indexed - I'd be happy with 40% of that number. You need to pay a lot of attention to your internal architecture.
    Comments do work but there is no point to argue. Agreed it is abused.

Ok - nobody can say they don't work with certainty. Some value is being passed. I should rephrase - this is not an area that would give a significant return on your time and the links are heavily discounted by Google.

Plus you need to pay attention to your link graph. If all your links are coming from blogs - you will be given little authority. You need a good mix of natural links. There are ways to get links that appear natural.
    PR means that the site/blog is some time on the web and there is lesser chance it will go bad.

But it could be 1 year or 15 years on the web. Uninstall your toolbar and start looking for quality. SEOMOZ offer more useful metrics (SEOMOZ tollbar).
    DofEllow is a software that finds dofollow blogs it doesn't post comments just saves time on finding them. Deffo white hat.

Please don't waste your time on this. I will happily point you in the direction and show you some good tactics to help your site in the long run and help you get indexed and ranking for the same time investment. It is a win win for you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Google 'seomoz seo guide' - it's a great resource and a fantastic site.

You don't mention what your site is or what area you are in but don't forget content is the other big piece - make sure you are updating your site/blog regularly with fresh new content. You can also guest blog on other relevant sites and blogs which are also reputable/high value.

Advertisement