If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitor question

Options
  • 03-04-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

hi john, i'm having trouble setting up my monitor. it's an old one, a fujitsu, and i used it in my old house to watch sky. however, having moved to an apartment with only one provider, homevision, i cannot connect it up.
    the lead from the back of the set top box seems to be some kind of composite at one end and scart at the other, it works fine on a crt tv but my monitor has no scart port.
    so, how can i connect the stb to the monitor, possibly with coax (worked with sky) or convert the scart end to something useable?

many thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

hi john, i'm having trouble setting up my monitor. it's an old one, a fujitsu, and i used it in my old house to watch sky. however, having moved to an apartment with only one provider, homevision, i cannot connect it up.
    the lead from the back of the set top box seems to be some kind of composite at one end and scart at the other, it works fine on a crt tv but my monitor has no scart port.
    so, how can i connect the stb to the monitor, possibly with coax (worked with sky) or convert the scart end to something useable?

many thanks.

Witty,

Thanks for the post and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I'm not familiar with the Homevision box so if you could email me a shot of the connections on the back of the STB that would be great - also if you knew what model your Monitor was it would great - does it have speakers built in?

Most monitors can accept composite inputs - therefore if your STB has a composite output you will be able to use a simple phono-phono cable to connect the STB and the monitor - however this will be the lowest picture quality available and composite also does not cally audio - I presume that there are RCA/audio outs on the STB which you can use?

If you can give us a bit more detail we should be able to sort you out in a jiffy!

Best regards,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

thanks john, i'll get you some pics, knew i should have been mose specific!
    homevision are a new crowd, not impressed with the service but we're stuck with them.
    for now, the monitor has no speakers and in it's previous life i had the whole thing routing through an amp with just the 'monitor out' going to the monitor, but the amp has no scart either.
    sorry if i'm over complicating, i'm not too switched on to this craic! pics to follow.

here is the stb John, the monitor ia a fujitsu p50xca30wh/51wh, see what you can do for me!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

EDIT Correction !

It looks like your STB (This one ? https://secure.techxpress.net/vsicam.com/images/uploads/AmiNET125Flyer_EU_160806.pdf ) has a multi-pin output for AV which is the lead terminating in a scart that you mention. In the absence of knowing the pin-out of the AV connector, I'd suggest using a SCART to composite or s-Video - looks like this:

wn53.jpg

And connect to your Monitor using a RCA to BNC for composite or an SVideo lead for a bit better picture quality.

Ritz.

thanks Ritz, didn't even know such a thing existed, took the cable to peats but they were no help, is there something specific i should ask for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

@John,

Happy to move this to HE as it's general in nature, but will leave here for now, you may be able to assist with the necessary adaptor/leads, BNC is not exactly common fare.

Rgds,

S.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.