Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend some new stuff?

Options
  • 03-04-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Not looking to buy books from anyone obv, just wondering what everyone would recommend reading or looking into at the moment. Especially looking for some feedback on more up to date NLH material (more tournament poker than cash) which may have been released in the last year or two.

Have read Harrington on Holdem V1 & V2, Super Systems 1 & 2, Phil Helmuths 'Play Like the Pro's' which was cack. For STT's Collin Moshman's SNG Strategy book was excellent. Not aware of any new STT material that has come close. Haven't read Sklanskey's 'Theory of Poker' (mistake) or more mathematically focused texts, they're next. Is there any other great material that is considered to help create a solid foundation for your game etc? I find reading tournament histories on 2+2 is good (adanthar is especially good).

Cash: The forums are great obv, Ryan Fee's free guide was good. Is there any definitive cash game books? Have heard Harrington on Cash V1 & V2 isn't on par with his tourny volumes so i haven't gotten them yet. A video training site would probably be best for smaller stakes cash i'm guessing. Anyone recommend video coaches? Gonna check out RJ & HJ's first.

Mike Caro's book of tells was helpful but it was more of a comedy with the blatant stereotyping he uses in it! So basically does anyone recommend any newer stuff in any area (including psychology/live play) or anyones blogs/articles/podcasts?

Any info would be great, Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Listen to Samoleus' interviews on Cash Plays from late last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

zuutroy wrote: »
    Listen to Samoleus' interviews on Cash Plays from late last year.
    ^^^
    Link ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I can give you Theory Of Poker if you want Adam, think I have it somewhere. Really good book.

Every hand revealed, Gus Hansen
    Explains a lot of the thought process behind his moves.

Winning poker tournaments one hand at a time, Rizen, Apestyles, Pearljammer
    Siimilar format to Hansen but covers more, and online mtt based.

The poker mindset, Ian Taylor and Matthew Hilger
    Very good read, covers tilt, focus, and some realities on probabilities to help your understanding of what actually constitutes a bad beat.

Every hand revealed, Gus Hansen
    Explains a lot of the thought process behind his moves.

including how to play any 2 cards out of position to a raise and having no concept of reverse implied odds!
    Gus' book was OK, but there are some really poorly played hands in it.

Samo interviews are here....scroll back to October

http://pokerroad.com/radio/cash-plays/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Adrock-aka

Slash/ED wrote: »
    I can give you Theory Of Poker if you want Adam, think I have it somewhere. Really good book.

Cool beans!

Thanks, very interesting stuff.

including how to play any 2 cards out of position to a raise and having no concept of reverse implied odds!

Are there reverse implied odds if he's playing well enough to not pay off when behind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Gus' book was OK, but there are some really poorly played hands in it.

yep thought the exact same.. I think he shouldn't have written this book as it paints him in a bad light. Is variance has to be massively positive to get away with the crap he pulls, but he tries to justify it in this book, but I didn't agree with a lot of it.

I did try his moves in a live tourney recently and got 6/147, so there might be something in it...lol

I'm starting Daniels new books at the moment and they seem to have been well review.

Also like the Swimming with fish books by Wilson, a good background to Irish and UK poker. He also another another book on the history of poker which was a very good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Are there reverse implied odds if he's playing well enough to not pay off when behind ?[/quote]

+1 . Its a while since I read it, but I remember he managed to get away from a few big hands where he could have been hurt , anyway well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Are there reverse implied odds if he's playing well enough to not pay off when behind ?

with his soul reads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Great interview, are any of the others worth listening too ?

Opr

aejones anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

The Phil Galfond one touches on the same subject as samoleus

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Adrock-aka

Thanks for the responses lads, there should be enough to keep me going for a few months! If anything else comes out that you think is noteworthy stick it on here if you can, as will I.

Cheeeeeers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Rakeline

I 2nd the poker mindset really good book, Also no limit theory and pratice by Sklansky and Miller ( up to date with everything you need to know ) and lastly Tommy Angelo's elements of poker you can buy it at his site and get him to sign it.

Alot of pros are bring out ebooks now but they price them really big so alot our out of reach for your average player heres one not poker but good none the less http://www.scribd.com/doc/9202351/Mastery and ryan fees 6max guide http://ryanfee.com/

A training site i recommend deuces cracked ive been a member there for ages, cardrunners before that but left there and dont plan on leaving dc anytime soon. There are others about but ive not tried so i cant compare. Think you should be a member of atleast 1 training site do some research and see which one is best for you.

Good Luck

Advertisement