Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Adwords and Search Volume related to country

Options
  • 03-04-2009 9:41am

I was thinking about this. Ireland is a small country. When searching google adwords to try and see what Irish people search for, what's a respectable monthly target (search volume) to say that people are interested?

I was told when using adwords in America for example, a search volume of 3,000 or at least 100 hits a day is a good sign of interest for that particular item in that country.

However, with Ireland having over 4 million people, it's a far smaller country than America so in general, what's a good figure (a figure that tells the person using adwords "Yes, this is a popular product and there is demand" in relation to the country? 1,000? 2,000? 800?

Also, how relevant is google trends (when searching the Irish market) as an effective form of market research? I mean, a lot of things don't register on the graph such as "wooden toys" for example. Does this mean you should stay away from it since it doesn't register?

Thanks

Comments

Or would you tend to follow UK trends where there is far more information available when undertaking market research for Ireland since the two countries are closely related in terms of culture etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Or would you tend to follow UK trends where there is far more information available when undertaking market research for Ireland since the two countries are closely related in terms of culture etc.
    I don't thinks adwords was built to work that way - in reverse. I think trends is good - but its an indication, thats all.

On the UK thing - geographically close - but i think thats where it stops.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think the problem is you are selling 'wooden toys' but that's not people will be searching for.

I'd start with Google Insights and see the trend on your primary keyword 'toys' - http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=toys&geo=IE&cmpt=q

From there, split it out into secondary and third level keywords and phrases.

These are campaign/adgroup level

1. Toys

2. Boys Toys
    2. Girls Toys
    2. Childrens Toys
    2. Baby Toys
    2. Wooden Toys
    2. Gifts/Presents

3. Christmas Toys
    3. Birthday present/toys

etc.

Search volume on your keywords - while important, isn't everything.

For the keywords above, a rough estimate of around 1million searches per month (using Keywords Tool - https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal).

You can also use Google Sktool to help you research keywords

Of course the best indicator is past performance with actual data :)

Advertisement