Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offey Guinness

Options
  • 03-04-2009 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I signed up with Guinness and get sent out offers and coupons every now and again. Over all it's a great service. I got a €2 voucher for my Birthday there recently so this evening I take the voucher up to me local supermarket and get me the "party pack" of 4 Guinness draught. Normally I'd never consider Guinness for taking home, I'd get the imported lager that's around €7 for 6 cans or wine or anything really.

So I get to the counter and wonder how much they will cost (no prices on the shelf) only to find out 4 cans of Guinness where €9 something, almost €10!

How does one of the cheapest drinks you can buy in the pub (around here anyway) go to being one of the most expensive drinks you can buy in the off license? At €7 (with voucher) it was still more expensive than any cans I've ever bought in the shop. Of course at that stage I felt stuck and payed the price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ScumLord wrote: »
    How does one of the cheapest drinks you can buy in the pub (around here anyway) go to being one of the most expensive drinks you can buy in the off license?
    I never understood that either, just charge what the market will pay I suppose. Also the cans at home cannot compete with a proper pint so I always wonder why people would pay so much, when a perfectly good beer is half the price or less.

The widget might cost a little more, and the cans are a bit taller so they might need different machinery etc. Doubt it adds up to the €1 extra.

People pay stupid amounts for branded beers, the majority of which are substandard anyway.

The only time I get guinness cans is when it is on offer, €30 a crate is the most I would pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I imagine it's to do with all the extra technology that has to be paid for in terms of the widget.

FWIW I don't think a pint from a can is much worse than a pint from any but the best pubs - I actually love rrelaxing at home with a few cans of Guinness.

Also, FYI cans are generally around E2.30

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I did enjoy having two slow cans. I would actually buy again if the cost wasn't so ridiculous. I had another look today and saw 6 bottles for €8 but they where small ones. 4 full sized bottles where up on €9 again.

Advertisement