Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a bank roll

Options
  • 02-04-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

I played a fair bit of poker a few years back. I built my BR up to over $1000 playing $1/2 limit.

Anyway I got a bit bored and gave up and have'nt played in ages, so Im just getting back into it now and Im wondering what is the best way to build on the $1000 Bankroll I have now?

I tend to prefer cash games to tournies because I have good patience and I like to pick and choose my moves rather than have my hand forced (excuse the pun;))...but if people feel tourneys really are the best way to go to build a roll that would'nt be a problem.

If I stick with cash games should I stay at limit or is NL better for building a bank roll? I always preferred limit simply because I understood it better. still I would have no qualms about switching. I would'nt have been a great player or anything but I am pretty well read on the game, have good patience and am able to play solid abc poker.

Also if somebody could recommend a good site to get back into it. One of the reasons I gave up was because the 1/2 games were becoming so tight. Dont know if things have changed but I felt at the time 1/2 limit games were the tightest on the web and I couldnt move up and did not really want to move down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Can't comment on the limit v NL question but a good rakeback deal is a must, check out the offers in some of the posters signature links

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

a roll of $1000 isn't adequate for 50nl imo not to mention 200nl and you will find that the standard has improved dramatically(don't know how long you have taken a break). start playing 20/25nl taking shots at 50nl and go from there. Do people still play limit:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

thedini wrote: »
    a roll of $1000 isn't adequate for 50nl imo not to mention 200nl and you will find that the standard has improved dramatically(don't know how long you have taken a break). start playing 20/25nl taking shots at 50nl and go from there. Do people still play limit:eek:

Well I would not dream of playing in 200nl games with my bankroll.

30 buy ins seems a pretty good ground rule for me (Im not a loose or wild player).

Ive decided to play No limit but do people think I would be better playing NL cash games or NL tourneys?

Also if Im playing tourneys I would always go with 10 handed STT's...Id never play multi table tournaments, is that alright or would I be better playing MTT's?(assuming I play tourneys and not cash games)

Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Sounds to me like you have the patience/discipline for limit games, and should stick with it. Defo forget about MTT's, unless you suddenly get an appetite for wild variance.
    Maybe consider stt's. If you were, sitewise i'd recommend avoiding say FT, even at $5 or $10 most there take it seriously. IPN/ Boss seems to be the worst pool of players I've ever seen. Though I haven't seen nearly enough iPoker due to connection issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sounds to me like you have the patience/discipline for limit games, and should stick with it. Defo forget about MTT's, unless you suddenly get an appetite for wild variance.
    Maybe consider stt's. If you were, sitewise i'd recommend avoiding say FT, even at $5 or $10 most there take it seriously. IPN/ Boss seems to be the worst pool of players I've ever seen. Though I haven't seen nearly enough iPoker due to connection issues.

Well he already plays limit so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Well he already plays limit so...

You think the variance for limit is higher than no limit?

I would've thought playing at the stakes I am playing, on the internet, it is'nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Babybing wrote: »
    You think the variance for limit is higher than no limit?

I would've thought playing at the stakes I am playing, on the internet, it is'nt.

I think so. I dont have a huge amount of limit experience but I dont think it's possible for someone to make alot of money through it without RB etc so your edge in the game is alot less which heightens the variance.

Advertisement