Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van Rental

Options
  • 02-04-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if any of you could help me.

I'm looking to hire a van for a trip to Belfast in a few weeks time. I'm wondering do you need to have a C class license to do so or would a normal B class license do the job?

Thanks,
    NKay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

You're ok with B license if the GVW (gross vehicle weight) of the van is 3500 kg or less.

A quick way to spot an over 3.5 tonner is to see if it has double wheels at the back axle. If not you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

samih wrote: »
    You're ok with B license if the GVW (gross vehicle weight) of the van is 3500 kg or less.

A quick way to spot an over 3.5 tonner is to see if it has double wheels at the back axle. If not you're ok.

So any normal van like a transit or the like I'd be grand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

samih wrote: »
    Many over 3500kgs vehicles do not have double wheels.

A better way is to see if there are yellow/green reflective strips on the sides and red/orange reflective strips at the rear. Vehicles over 3500kgs are required to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nkay1985 wrote: »
    So any normal van like a transit or the like I'd be grand for?
    You'd be OK with 95% of Transits.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Also make sure you mention to the rental company that you are driving to Belfast as that is technically going from one country to another. There could be insurance or rental restrictions for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Cool. Thanks a lot for that lads.

Advertisement