Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Engineer to Teacher

Options
  • 02-04-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Thinking about getting out of the building business because theres absolutely nothing left to build for the moment!

Is there anyone on the boards who has gone from being a Degree qualified Civil Engineer to a Teacher? I got my Degree (Beng)f rom Belfast so is there a problem with it not being a national Degree?
    • What subjects do you teach?
    • What is the best route to go?
    • What sort of salary would you expect to get after 2years of teaching?
    • How much would a mature student have to pay to do the course?
    Any suggestions about where to start from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Your best bet is to contact the teaching council.

However I don't see any Civil Engineering degrees listed on their list of approved qualifications here:

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/registration_information/default.asp?NCID=202&NID=160

So i would wonder if it would be recognised for teaching purposes at all.

There is a sticky in the forum with the pay scales in it. They are based on full time hours which many teachers don't get in their first year if they get anything at all... It's not good at the moment, a lot of teachers are being let go this year.

As for cost, I think it costs about 6k in fees for the PGDE, someone else around here could probably verify this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jojo75

Your best bet is to contact the teaching council.

However I don't see any Civil Engineering degrees listed on their list of approved qualifications here:

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/registration_information/default.asp?NCID=202&NID=160

So i would wonder if it would be recognised for teaching purposes at all.

There is a sticky in the forum with the pay scales in it. They are based on full time hours which many teachers don't get in their first year if they get anything at all... It's not good at the moment, a lot of teachers are being let go this year.

As for cost, I think it costs about 6k in fees for the PGDE, someone else around here could probably verify this.

I have a question hopefully someone might be able to help me with. Im in a similar situation as the poster above, working as an Engineer and I have completed a Honours Degree in Construction but its not on the approved teaching list above but I hope to get into the Graduate Diploma in Education (Technology) in UL (link http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/R...ces/Technology) next year. So because my degree is not on the list firstly can I get into this course and secondly if I do get in can I get recognised by the teaching council after I complete it??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jojo75 wrote: »
    I have a question hopefully someone might be able to help me with. Im in a similar situation as the poster above, working as an Engineer and I have completed a Honours Degree in Construction but its not on the approved teaching list above but I hope to get into the Graduate Diploma in Education (Technology) in UL (link http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/R...ces/Technology) next year. So because my degree is not on the list firstly can I get into this course and secondly if I do get in can I get recognised by the teaching council after I complete it??

it might be better to contact the teaching council first to see what they have to say. It would be pointless to do the postgrad and then find you're not eligible to teach anything. I don't know how applications work for the postgrad but I'd imagine they would be taking in people with degrees that are approved for teaching

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Isn't it too late to get accepted for a teacher training course for next college year?
    eg: starting in September.

Advertisement