Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

convert form linux to windows...

Options
  • 02-04-2009 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

i have a hp 2113 mini-note and its running linux,
    i need windows to use software on it and i dunno how to convert it?

can anyone help! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

You'll need to buy windows and install it on the machine, if the laptop doesnt have a cd drive you'll probably have to get your hands on a usb cd drive. What programs do you need to on Windows there may be linux alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

What software do you need to use? You may be able to run it under the Windows emulation layer (not quite an emulator) WINE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

If you need office stuff like Word and Excel, Open Office can save files in that format.

You may be able to do the stuff you need in Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 seanos2

its for dj ing, all my software is mac or windows, how would i wipe the hard drive of the system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

If you have a Windows CD, just install Windows, it will wipe whatever was on the hard drive beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

seanos2 wrote: »
    its for dj ing, all my software is mac or windows, how would i wipe the hard drive of the system?

If you have not already done so, it would probably be a good idea to make sure that the laptop meets the requirements of the software you want to use.

It looks like it could have between 64 - 256mb video and 1ghz - 1.6ghz C7-M Processor, so depending on where you fall, this might not be suitable for your needs.
    if the laptop doesnt have a cd drive you'll probably have to get your hands on a usb cd drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

I would doubt that laptop is capable of running your mixing software well.

Post up the spec of the netbook.

Are you using the linux operating system that came preinstalled on the netbook or one you installed yourself?

A work colleague bought one of these netbooks and wanted to use a 3g modem with it. The system wouldn't let me install new packages or newer versions of what was already installed. So I could't install/compile code to get the application I wanted!

After a lot of investigation,I was able to install ubuntu and everything works fine.(I had to flash the bios to an earlier version and then install ubuntu from a usb stick)

If you still want to give linux a go, you can have a look at this http://www.mixxx.org - its free open source mixing software

Download it from here

You may have to compile it if you don't have ubuntu/ubuntu or debian based linux. If you're using the preinstalled linux this may not be possible or will be painful.(based on my own experience with this laptop)

Might be worth having a look at ubuntustudio - its a version of ubuntu specially customised for multimedia creation (audio/video/graphics).

Advertisement