Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inode info needed

Options
  • 02-04-2009 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a linux 2.6 kernel - sysctl -a is showing:

fs.inode-state = 277423 0

The two values from From the Kernel docs:
    inode-state contains two actual numbers and five dummy values. The numbers are nr_inodes and nr_free_inodes (in order of appearance).

nr_inodes
    Denotes the number of inodes the system has allocated. This number will grow and shrink dynamically.

nr_free_inodes
    Represents the number of free inodes. Ie. The number of inuse inodes is (nr_inodes - nr_free_inodes).

df -ih shows me that IUse% of 1%....

I am a bit confused about the difference in the figures - is this normal?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

I've been trying to figure this out. From what I can tell, the inode-state numbers refer to the kernel's in-memory list of inodes. For every open file (including, it seems, stdin, stdout and network sockets) it holds in memory the contents of the file's inode. This in-memory list grows as necessary, and when an entry is no longer required, it is cleared and can be reused.

The figures about inodes returned by df refer to the number of inodes available/used on each filesystem individually. From what I've seen, low usage (<10%) is pretty normal.

Advertisement