Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Them crazy yanks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

fitz0 wrote: »
    A big round of applause for the state of Texas everyone.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16859-texas-vote-leaves-loopholes-for-teaching-creationism.html?page=1

I suppose its only a matter of time before more of them do it.
    From reading that article it seems that more of them won't have to. The publishers are unlikely to publish "Texas Only" books, so they could find there way into other states. Very scary indeed.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

MrPudding wrote: »
    From reading that article it seems that more of them won't have to. The publishers are unlikely to publish "Texas Only" books, so they could find there way into other states. Very scary indeed.

MrP

Or hopefully, publishers decide not to cater for Texas for fear of loosing business in other states and Texas is forced to change it's curriculumn for lack of text books.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

What's more, if passed, the bill would protect students from being "penalized in any way because he or she subscribes to a particular position on scientific theories"

Texas Science Exam 2009:

Q1: Explain, in detail, using diagrams where necessary, the complete history of life on planet earth, with reference to phylogenetic trees, fossil records, genetic markers and embryology.

Ans: God did it.

Q2: Explain, in detail, using diagrams where necessary, how the current formation of the earth's crust occurred, including reference to plate tectonics, gravitational sliding and mantle convection.

Q3: Explain, in detail, using diagrams where necessary, how super-massive objects have warped spacetime, with particular reference to Einsteinian relativity theories and the formation of black holes.

Correct! 100%. A+. In fact this new legislation should massively increase the average grades received by students... Who knew science could be so easy! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

MrPudding wrote: »
    The publishers are unlikely to publish "Texas Only" books
    Apart from wondering if anybody in Texas can actually read and therefore whether or not it's actually worth printing anything other than millions of Monolith-style copies of the bible, I'd imagine that these good ole boys will just print off "warning" stickers to go on or inside the front cover of a normal textbook.

I wonder what the reaction would be if bibles in Texas had a similar warning:

biblewarning.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

I was just thinking, wouldn't it be great to see a Scientology v ID legal battle. What fun it could be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Naz_st wrote: »
    Texas Science Exam 2009:

Q1: Explain, in detail, using diagrams where necessary, the complete history of life on planet earth, with reference to phylogenetic trees, fossil records, genetic markers and embryology.

Q2: Explain, in detail, using diagrams where necessary, how the current formation of the earth's crust occurred, including reference to plate tectonics, gravitational sliding and mantle convection.

Q3: Explain, in detail, using diagrams where necessary, how super-massive objects have warped spacetime, with particular reference to Einsteinian relativity theories and the formation of black holes.

Correct! 100%. A+. In fact this new legislation should massively increase the average grades received by students... Who knew science could be so easy! :rolleyes:
    And then they wonder why their economy and industry is failing. I've heard shocking storeys of stupidity relating to Irish technicians being sent to the US by American companies because the locals couldn't grasp the basics.

Nevermind, hopefully the world will have one less superpower in it in a few years..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anti-evolutionist Don McLeroy, a dentist and chair of the Texas State Board of Education, testified at Friday's hearing:
    I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts.
    Indeed. What do those experts think they are? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Dades wrote: »
    Anti-evolutionist Don McLeroy, a dentist and chair of the Texas State Board of Education, testified at Friday's hearing:
    I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts.

Does this mean my degree in Business & Information Systems qualifies me to re-write dentistry text books?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

sink wrote: »
    Does this mean my degree in Business & Information Systems qualifies me to re-write dentistry text books?

Only if you claim that Satan makes cavities and only an amalgam of God and Holy Spirit dissolved in Mercury can fix them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Dades wrote: »

I can almost hear him screaming across the boardroom:

"YOU CAN PROVE ANYTHING WITH FACTS" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement