Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I know it's been done to death...wheel refurb

Options
  • 02-04-2009 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭

Lads,

I know this has been done to death but I cant find what I'm looking for on a search. The alloys on my car are looking a bit rough (the usual around the edges little marks and one on a spoke that was NOT done by me) and I want a refurb done.

Due to time pressures I cant travel too far. Does anyone know anyone good in Cork (or maybe waterford/Tip/Limerick at a push)?

On a side note - will I get them done in the original colour or grey?

I'd appreciate any help on this one

picture.php?albumid=433&pictureid=2281

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Absolutely. Try Leo Wheelan (Pardon the pun) - 0864086923.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Just rang him there. Seems a sound out guy, quote was waaaaay cheaper than I thought it'd be too. Going to get them done when I can drop it in in a week or so and he'll show me a few colour cards then to see if I wanna change them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

How much is he charging you?
    I have a set of BBS that need a refurb, was going to try it myself but if it cheap to get someone else to do it...............

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'd like to get mine done, but apparently the paint is impossible to get. I even got a can of €25 paint from America that was supposed to be the original paint and its just not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Leo operates a mobile service. I've seen one or two wheels done by him & they were fine.
    Not show winning by any means though. Still if it is cheap (got a quote once, but never managed to follow up) & it is definitely value for money.
    He has definitely done jobs for some of the main dealers in Cork. I met him one day by chance & he was pleasant & seems to enjoy what he does.

• Advertisement

He's 200 for the lot, and he'll do it on a Saturday. Offered to drop me shopping and everything. Thats a provisional price if they are as described (they aren't bad really just i'm picky) and they are exactly as described.

The question tormenting me now is what colour:confused:

Feel free on suggestions please!

I'll report back when I get them sorted too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Get some before and after pics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I've a spare set of wheels (identical to what's on car) just waiting to be refurbished, very minor rash on some of them. Was actually thinking of taking them to a painter that lives across the road from Leo!
    It was going to be approx €250 for the set. Liked the idea that they would go into the oven to harden paint.
    It is a "long finger" project though. Picked them up for €200 delivered, had them checked for buckles before I went to the trouble of painting them (would advise OP to do same) & all clear.

Good point there actually.

Had them checked when I got tyres a couple of weeks ago and all's ok there. Was going to change the wheels altogether but I kinda like whats on it and there aren't many around with thos wheels.

Would grey look silly on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yes, lol I think it would. I think a brighter silver, or the same again would look best tbh. If you went and changed the colour it could be a gamble and a bit tatty.

Do you have an higher res pics of the car + wheels?

seatwheelspink.jpg

• Advertisement

seatwheelspink.jpg

It's safe to say that I wont be doing it like that anyway:eek:

They're the only ones I have taken on crappy camera! Not home until Saturday to get the good one out

EPM wrote: »
    It's safe to say that I wont be doing it like that anyway:eek:

They're the only ones I have taken on crappy camera! Not home until Saturday to get the good one out

If you want to send it on when you get it, I'll do the wheels in any colour(s) you want to see what suit. That picture is crappy, and when I try do anything with the front wheel it just turns out worse.

nice one! Cheers for that!

Just an update, picked the car up this evening all done. Leo is a sound man to deal with - dropped me into town and everything this morning. I got the wheels done in a slightly lighter colour (ON Limerick Man's advice:D) with a metallic flick that it didnt have in the first place.

Job cost €200 (a lot cheaper than a new set of decent alloys) and I have to say it's a thoroughly decent job. I'm very happy with it and was told if there was anything I wasn't happy with leave him know and he'd sort it (cant say fairer than that) but I dont think there will be. He even polished and sealed the wheels and dressed they tyres. Had a good chat with him about cars too. Sound lad.

I took a picture but I can't find my fcekin data cable at the moment but I'll put it up when it turns up

Pic

picture.php?albumid=433&pictureid=2822

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Pic

Looks well, did her do all 4 wheels?
    Are you getting the car ready for trade in against a Kia ? :)

Yup, all 4 were done. No, decided against the Kia (well I didnt, the price did though:o)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pic

they look great man, i presume he fixes all the scrapes and kerbing etc etc
    does he fill the scrapes and kerbing and that?

my other half is looking for her wheels to be done at the moment and will deffo be ringing this guy.

Glad to hear Leo worked out for you EPM! He's done a lot of cars for me, and never let me down. His dad does upholstery repairs too, cigarette burns, holes left from car kits, rips in leather/vinyl.

kceire wrote: »
    they look great man, i presume he fixes all the scrapes and kerbing etc etc
    does he fill the scrapes and kerbing and that?

my other half is looking for her wheels to be done at the moment and will deffo be ringing this guy.

There was one kerb mark and one stone chip on drivers side wheels on mine and he sanded and filled them. Perfect result removing them. Had a good proper look at them yesterday in sunlight. One or two tiny blemishes but nothing nad. Overall I'm well happy with them. He's def worth a call.

Thanks to ned78 for the number:D

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote: »
    Glad to hear Leo worked out for you EPM! He's done a lot of cars for me, and never let me down. His dad does upholstery repairs too, cigarette burns, holes left from car kits, rips in leather/vinyl.

I didn't know there were people in the country who did the likes of cigarrette burns. Any idea on price? It's on the floor carpet if it makes any difference.

He's generally 65+vat for anything small-ish.

ned78 wrote: »
    He's generally 65+vat for anything small-ish.

When I have a really OCD day I'll get it done, lol:D

Advertisement