Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best man speachs.

• 02-04-2009 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Folks I'm doing best man for a friend of mine in a month and I'm not the best public speaker. I'm grand in social situations, but when I'm up in front of people with all eyes on me I just crumble like a 3 day old biscuit.

Thinking of maybe using a distraction to take people attention away from myself. Does anyone know how to go about hiring a couple of midget or dancing monkeys?

+ If anyone has any other idea, advice or word of encouragement, that would be very helpful.

Cheers :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭bensoneb

Hi Cryano,

There's plenty of material on the internet so you won't have to worry about what to say. Just google Best Man speech and you'll find more than you'll ever use.

My advise to you is stay away from any jokes that you mightn't be sure of i.e. that may or may not get you laugh as if they don't go down well, you'll get even more nervous and it all goes downhill from there.

It doesn't have to be long either so no need to rattle on for hours.... Make your notes beforehand and use them so that you don't have to remember anything. And practise.....

AND,,,, people will have had loads to drink at that stage so they'll be all relaxed. Don't worry, just prepare and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Keep it short and sweet.
    Use props to keep your hands busy (don't know what, but surely you could dig out a photo to wave menacingly or something).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,801 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

cryano wrote: »
    Thinking of maybe using a distraction to take people attention away from myself. Does anyone know how to go about hiring a couple of midget or dancing monkeys?

Where is the wedding on? You need to narrow it down because it's not like dancing dwarves & monkeys are readily available in every part of the country.

Have you tried goldenpages.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭sallysaucer

The best opening for a speech i ever heard was A speech sould be like a mini skirt long enough to cover the basics but short enough to retain attention

Its a classis and always goes down well and i have used it many a times!!!

That way the speech can be as short as you like and your closing can be 'ill have to finish up now or the mini skirt will be a maxi...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

All you need is a good start, a good end and as little as possible in between!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 cryano

That mini skirt joke has been way over used. My friends dad used it and nobody laughed. (we laugh about it years later in a kind of retrospective way).

+ do they have dancing dwarfs in golden pages???? Awesome.

Advertisement