Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I ask for rent reduction

Options
  • 02-04-2009 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

ive searched around the forum and found a lot of answers to this sort of question but im going to ask again:p
    i moved into a 2 bed house in swords start of december last year
    the going rate was €1150 for the 2 bed apartments in the area at the time and i took it im reciving €950 rent allowance a month towards this since im on a disability allowance i make the rest of the rent up with my disability money

but since then both houses next door to me have been put up for €1000 on daft and people have moved in and im noticing i can get a 2 bedroom house for €950 in swords now thats a €200 difference in price and the €200 im taking from my own pocket to pay for the house!
    i really like where i am
    i know the argument about would i be happy if my landlord upped the rent mid contract yada yada
    but would it be so wrong of me to ask to get the rent lowered since the price has dropped so dramatically in 4 months?

i do feel if i was to ask the landlord for a reduction so soon into a lease it would be unfair but €200 euro a month for me is HUGE amount of money

i also know there has been a substantial drop in most landlords monthly mortgage payments?

id like to hear peoples opinions on this if they were in the same situation so soon after moving in and how it turned out for them?

thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Ask him. it couldn't hurt. I'm in a similar situation and our LL is a really lovely guy but he told us no, so we're looking at a brand new nicer cheaper place up the road. Also you could say your CWO told you your rent is going to be reduced and you haven't an option but keep that as a last resort, but deffo ask him, it couldn't hurt.
    best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ask him. it couldn't hurt. I'm in a similar situation and our LL is a really lovely guy but he told us no, so we're looking at a brand new nicer cheaper place up the road. Also you could say your CWO told you your rent is going to be reduced and you haven't an option but keep that as a last resort, but deffo ask him, it couldn't hurt.
    best of luck with it.

We rented (6 months) in November for €800 p/m. Lease up in May and asked for a review. New rent will be €700 per month.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Asking costs zero.

I got a €100 reduction yesterday, fair play to the Landlord as he knows that we are exemplary tenants and he sees the value in that. I'll expect to get the rent down further when the lease is due for renewal in 5months.

Just ask!

Advertisement