Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRANT-POSTGRAD-MATURE STUDENT

Options
  • 01-04-2009 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

I got offered a place in Maynooth for September to do the HDIP. :DI never qualified for the grant during my degree and masters whic I finished last year. I will be a mature student (over 24) when I start the HDIP.

Can I apply for the Grant as a mature student at this stage? :confused:

I am living at home for the moment, would I be means tested much now that I am a mature student?

Will the grant cover the course fees? :(
    Tagged:

Comments

Based on the current scheme... if you're living at home, you will be dependent according to the Council/VEC so will be assessed on your income plus your parents'/guardians'. Do check out the income limits though, you never know you may be under limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hiyo,

According to the 2008/09 HEG Scheme:

"For the 2008/09 academic year, the grant will cover up to €6,270 of tuition fees for full-time undergraduate programs of study, and up to €6,110 of tuition fees for full-time postgraduate programs."

If the tuition fees exceed the above amounts, you'll be liable for them. Your registration/capitation fees will be covered.

As for your residence, if you cannot prove (utility bill etc) that you have been living outside of the family home since October 2008, then the default position is that you are dependent on parental income and you will be means-tested as such.

As for Maturity, if you are going straight into your HDip from your Masters, without taking a year off in between, you will continue to be regarded as the same level of student that you were while doing your masters (i.e. candidate other than a mature student, I'm willing to bet).

Clarification here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/#A13

Q.13 is particularly relevant to your situation.

Bob!

EDIT:

Duh, I jusr reread that, and you've said that you already have a Masters degree. You are not eligible to apply for the Higher Education Grant, as the HDip and a Masters are both level 9 qualifications on the National Framework, and the HEG will not fund you to do a second qualification at the same level as one you already hold.

http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/#A3

Q.3 refers to this...

Sorry...

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Hi ya,

i have a similar question. I am 26, have completed a degree (3 years ago) and i am now going back to do a post grad course in August. I have been on social welfare allowance since i returned from Oz in January.

Can anybody tell me what sort of grant / payments if any , i would be entitled to ?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi miller82,

Have a read of this FAQ about the Higher Education Grant - it may answer a lot of your questions: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/

You should be eligible to apply for the HEG (dependent on income/residency/other considerations), but whether you qualify for the Back To Education Allowance depends. Typically the only postgrad courses approved for the BTEA are teaching qualifications (HDip Ed, Grad Dip Primary Ed.).

Bob

Advertisement