Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch Face Condensation

• 01-04-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hello all,
    anyone any idea of how to get water condensation of of a stainless steel watch marked "Water resistant 10 bar" / 100m?
    The problem appeared after foolishly wearing it swimming in some very refreshing Icelandic thermal baths at a temperature of 40 to 60 C with a maximum depth of 1.5 metres. I suppose the above-normal temperature must have expanded something that allowed the seal to separate. After cooling the seal probably recovered and locked in the water vapour which has since condensed on the inside of the glass and, two weeks on, has not gone away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hollowjourney

Hi
    there is no easy way of fixing this issue. You could try leaving your watch in a hot press for a few days or drying it under a hair dryer (place it under the hair dryer for 10-20sec, leave it for a few minutes and repeat several times). Doing this might get rid of the condensation you can see under the glass but it won't get rid of the moisture that is in the movement. The only sure way of fixing your watch is to get it over-hauled by a watchmaker.......if you don't your watch will stop due to rust and the longer you leave it the greater the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Oops, I've been bold and forgot to follow up check for an answer here. I hate when people fire-and-forget.
    Thanks for the advice. I don't think the particular watch is worth the effort of a professional stripping so I'll just do the heating thing and hope for a the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

backboiler wrote: »
    Oops, I've been bold and forgot to follow up check for an answer here. I hate when people fire-and-forget.

[User Control Panel]->[Edit Options]->[Default Thread Subscription Mode]

Choose "No Email Notification".

This automatically subscribes to a thread you post in. Then check your subs for replies at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Origipolo

Backboiler, I would get the watch to a repairer as soon as possible. The winding and setting mechanism will sure become a solid lump of rust before the year is out. There is a big difference between "water resistant" and "waterproof". Water resistant is just as is says and any more than a splash of water is really too much for a case. Sure you may get away with bringing it swimming for a while but the case back gasket will eventually break down. Most water resistant watches only have snap on case backs. The 10atm resistance is really misleading. Proper waterproof watches have screwdown case backs and the winding crown should ideally be of the screwdown type also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DMCYA

Hey,

You should take your watch to a watchmaker and get him to take the case back off and dry it out for you, they have special dryers for such a job. Paul Sheeran's have a watch maker as do Weir's.

D Ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

google it, i have seen a diy thingy on some internet site by an asian guy, it was for a militria marina watch

Advertisement