If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take Two

Options
  • 01-04-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Hello all at richer sounds.

I am finally jumping on the blu-ray bandwagon in a few weeks, so i am doing some research.

I was going to get a lcd tv (Samsung LE40B650) but for now i think i will use my 24" HDMI enabled monitor as money is tight but it will be bought soon.

So i will need a blu ray player and speakers.

The Speakers / decoder unit i am thinking of getting is the Onkyo HTX-22HD Black (all in one unit).

Can i purchase the 5.1 upgrade from you guys?

I have read that in some older models and even in the latest models that there could be a problem when you use HDMI (a nasty sound comes from the speakers) and you have to send the subwoofer / decoder unit to a RMA facility in england.

Can i be guaranteed that i wont get a defective unit?

If i do get a defective unit, will it get swapped and / or will richer sounds handle the RMA process.

I went through the many pages over on AV forums about this unit so that is why i am concerned:cool:

The blu-ray player i think has to be the Panasonic DMP-BD35

I will be using HDMI to the onkyo from the panny and HDMI to my monitor from the onkyo for pass through of High Definition 1080p

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on the above combo or alternatives.

Yours Sincerely,

John

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Moon,

apologies I don't know how I missed your thread in the 1st place!

We do stock the 22 from Onkyo - however they are out of stock of it at the moment and amazingly have no firm date for delivery however the unit apparently will go up in price when it comes back into stock (Onkyo are suggesting £350 :eek: !

We have sold loads of the 22's and have had zero issues with them - however rest assured that if there is an issue we are happy to handle the upgrade procedure.

If you would like to place a provisional order for a 22 and the extra kit to make 5.1 please just drop me a line to johnmc@richersounds.ie and as soon as we get word of price/availability we will give you a shout.

Thanks again for the post and apologies that I missed it in the 1st instance,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

That sure is a pity about the price. With the amount of units gone back to genserve, they got to recoup their losses i guess. It sure is a quality piece of kit though and probably are worth 300 pounds.

There probably are not many other options at that price i guess.

If there any other units that have the same good sound, integrated decoder and speakers/sub as an AIO package i would love to know.

Yep, the price increase really is a pity - especially as we were selling them at £179 before Christmas!

I'm pretty sure that when it does come back we will still be heavily discounting it so keep an eye out or drop me a line with a contact number if you would like me to put you on a contact list for when they come in!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Right Richer, what can you do for me?

I will have 1500 euros (1362 pounds) as a budget. 1700 euros the top amount i would consider spending :eek::o.

If i get the Samsung LE40B650, that leaves me with 500 pounds approx.

For this im looking for a blu ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD35 -180 pounds) and 320 left over for av receiver and speakers. I could stretch to 480 pounds if the deal was a good one:) with the latter amount the most i could afford i think.

What av reciever with speakers can you recommend for that price range? (480 pounds max) looking for an a/v receiver that can handle the new lossless codecs and can pass thru the video feed from blu-ray player and output to tv, like the onkyo can do tbh.

The Onkyo HTX-22HD would have fit the bill nicely :(i think at the old price. maybe wait for new stock to come in?

Many thanks richer.
    John

Moon,

thanks for the post (at least I spotted this one within 24 hours!)

OK Sammy LE40B650 - £859.95 (I'm not supossed to ship them but as it's in a system and your are a Boardie - I have a good case for an exception!)

Add a spicy BD35 MR at £179.95, throw in a Sammy AVR720 5.1 receiver at £249.95 and a shake of Onkyo SKHST518 5.1 Speakers at £199.95 - mix that all together until it totals £1490 - then beat until it is reduced to just £1469.

I know the system above blows the budget a little but you could also look at the new Onkyo TXSR307 at £229.95 (I've not had a chance to have a blast of it yet!) or the Denon AVR1509 again at 229.95 for a limited time - or finally you could try the excellent Pioneer VSX818 at the crazy price - £169.95 which would pull the whole budget down to £1409 (say £1400!)

Enough options - confused yet? - I am!

drop me a line if I can assist and

ATB,

John Mc
    moonboy52 wrote: »
    Right Richer, what can you do for me?

I will have 1500 euros (1362 pounds) as a budget. 1700 euros the top amount i would consider spending :eek::o.

If i get the Samsung LE40B650, that leaves me with 500 pounds approx.

For this im looking for a blu ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD35 -180 pounds) and 320 left over for av receiver and speakers. I could stretch to 480 pounds if the deal was a good one:) with the latter amount the most i could afford i think.

What av reciever with speakers can you recommend for that price range? (480 pounds max) looking for an a/v receiver that can handle the new lossless codecs and can pass thru the video feed from blu-ray player and output to tv, like the onkyo can do tbh.

The Onkyo HTX-22HD would have fit the bill nicely :(i think at the old price. maybe wait for new stock to come in?

Many thanks richer.
    John

• Advertisement

Cheers John:),

Time to get looking at some web reviews of said models.

No worries Moon.

Thanks for the opportunity to quote!

Much appreciated,

ATB,

John Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

johnmc wrote: »
    Moon,

thanks for the post (at least I spotted this one within 24 hours!)

OK Sammy LE40B650 - £859.95 (I'm not supossed to ship them but as it's in a system and your are a Boardie - I have a good case for an exception!)

Add a spicy BD35 MR at £179.95, throw in a Sammy AVR720 5.1 receiver at £249.95 and a shake of Onkyo SKHST518 5.1 Speakers at £199.95 - mix that all together until it totals £1490 - then beat until it is reduced to just £1469.

I know the system above blows the budget a little but you could also look at the new Onkyo TXSR307 at £229.95 (I've not had a chance to have a blast of it yet!) or the Denon AVR1909 again at 229.95 for a limited time - or finally you could try the excellent Pioneer VSX818 at the crazy price - £169.95 which would pull the whole budget down to £1409 (say £1400!)

Enough options - confused yet? - I am!

drop me a line if I can assist and

ATB,

John Mc
    When you said the denon 1909 for £230 im guessing it was a typo for the 1509. If not i will take your hand off for a 1909.
    P.S Sent you an email about receivers yesterday.
    Thanks

hughes2558 wrote: »
    When you said the denon 1909 for £230 im guessing it was a typo for the 1509. If not i will take your hand off for a 1909.
    P.S Sent you an email about receivers yesterday.
    Thanks

whoopsa daisy.

thanks Hughes!

Yep 1509!

Apologies for the inconvenience -

Have Boardies got the best eyesight in the universe?

ATB,

John Mc

Damn was reading great things about the 1909 just there:).

I have it in my head that i want an a/v receiver that can internally decode DD+ / Dolby True HD and can upscale to 1080p.

Maybe i am aiming too high considering my budget and since the bd-35 can internally decode those codecs, am i right in saying it will pass the uncompressed LCPM signal to the receivers you mentioned and the receiver will pass thru the HD 1080p signal?

Would i even notice the lossless sound quality on 200 pounds speakers compared to DD5.1 or DTS?

This setup will be used for blu-ray exclusively so upscaling / upconverting is not really an issue but would be nice. I wonder if the extra cash for the denon 1909 would be worth it as it would be more future-proof, or just hang on for the onkyo HTX.

Choices choices :p

If i go for the denon 1909 what would the total price come to :P

I got the easter week to read more and weigh up the pro's and con's before i pull the proverbial trigger but if / when i buy it will be from you guys;).

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.