Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VirtualBox Users?

Options
  • 01-04-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

I got an important .docx today (yes, I know) and was forced to use Windoze.

I installed virtualbox, thinking "ok, this will do, will be a bit awkward, but should do the job", but I've finished today and I'm actually amazed at how seamless the virtual machine is!

Top class piece of software.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Yup, its one of my favourate pieces of software, up there with samba and firefox. Was a bit pissed off when Sun took over, not sure why.

But... Openoffice 3.0 can open docx's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

djmarkus wrote: »
    Yup, its one of my favourate pieces of software, up there with samba and firefox. Was a bit pissed off when Sun took over, not sure why.

But... Openoffice 3.0 can open docx's?

I know...

But what do you do if someone copy and pastes your perfectly formatted latex document and plonks in their own M$ Word comments?

Some people are so inconsiderate.

.docx is horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I use XP in a Virtualbox VM for remote access to work. It's excellent. But I wouldn't go to all that trouble to open a docx document when OO.o can do it. It imports comments too afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Took a bit of a while to get the repo working on my server, meaning I had to recompile the kernel driver each time there was a new release, but other than that (one small script later) I've been pretty happy with it.

Advertisement