Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naturalist Things to do?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm wondering now that spring is here what sort of
    naturalist type things (bug or bird surveys) can one do ? I realise its more observation than experimentation but I did some surveying and things in my ecology and biology and entomology modules during my degree so I was wondering what sort of things like the UK natural history museums worm survey people here can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Have a look at this article. There's some great ideas for waterway surveys there, with links to the survey websites :)

In particular, try to monitor bee activity in your garden, bumble bees and honey bees in particular as bee species are suffering badly.

You could try to buy in some 'bee-friendly' plants and monitor the effect of having the plants on bee numbers in your garden :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

a useful linking for irish bees

http://www.tcd.ie/Zoology/research/Bees/intro.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

thanks. I've found an earthworm survey thing to do as well.

Advertisement